Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Nvq Children's Care, Learning And Development

Hi

I started new NVQ3 course Nov 2005. Tutor very vague and keeps telling us we are guinea pigs as this is a new course That doesn't make me feel very confident plus today assessor did not turn up at my setting today after I had planned and prepared for units 305, 307 and 308. I just carried on and the session was great...but not assessed. Gutted.

I handed in 301,302, 303 5 weeks ago for marking still not got portfolio back.

I just need to hear some positive feedback from others studying NVQ level 3 Childrens Care, learning and development.

Hi

I started new NVQ3 course Nov 2005. Tutor very vague and keeps telling us we are guinea pigs as this is a new course That doesn't make me feel very confident plus today assessor did not turn up at my setting today after I had planned and prepared for units 305, 307 and 308. I just carried on and the session was great...but not assessed. Gutted.

I just need to hear some positive feedback from others studying NVQ level 3 Childrens Care, learning and development.

56055[/snapback]

Hi KittyKotty and welcome to the forum! You'll soon be addicted, everyone is!

I remember the guinea pigs comments well, from my days of training! I was in one of the first groups to do the accompanying Diploma in Early Years Practice to the NVQ3. However, my tutor was an absolute diamond in that she turned up for assessments, was available whenever I needed a helping hand etc.

The only gripe I had was the same as you really, in that units were going in for marking and I wasn't getting them back for months at a time. I finally completed my NVQ in August last year and I am still waiting for 4 units to be returned to me (even though they have been awarded!). I'm also still waiting for my certificates, so believe me when I say, you're not alone! xD

The NVQ is by no means easy and to be honest, I've heard that the new style NVQs are particularly hard, but the only advice I can give you is this. If you want it bad enough, just keep plugging away, because believe me, it is sooooo worth it once it is all done! I never thought I'd get through it, I had a baby 4 units in and then had to start again, but it really was worth it.

The good thing about the forum, is that there are so many people of different background that any problems you have will invariably get an answer. Try not to get too disheartened by the whole thing, because I found it tends to take the shine off of the work you have put in and the achievements you have made.

I would speak to your tutor/assessor and find out what is happening with your submitted units. I found that paperwork tends to go missing for ages and then suddenly reappears with the awarded stamp across it! I used to take copies in the end and if I got a bit annoyed at not hearing anything, I would ring my tutor up every day or send the unit to her again and basically just make a nuisance of myself until I knew what was happening.

I hope that has inspired even a tiny bit of confidence! As for not turning up to assessments, you should be proud of yourself that you were able to carry out the activities for your units, regardless of whether your assessor saw them or not. Just make a note of the children who took part, what happened etc, refer to your evaluation of the activity, so when your assessor does turn up, you know you have a good chance of repeating your success :o !

Good luck!! :D

Claire! That was just what I needed. As you can read I had a bad day with NVQ 3's but a fantastic session with the children. All the staff looked sorry for me by 9am when the assessor hadn't shown but all said how much they enjoyed the session.

As that was my first posting I thank you for your inspiring response and it is a comfort to know that I am not the only one who feels a little isolated a let down sometimes.

I have picked myself up, read your words, brushed myself off and I am ready for college tomorrow!!!!

Kitty Kotty :o

Hi

56055[/snapback]

Hi, I'm sorry your assessor didn't show, she probably had a really good reason but unfortunately it doesn't help you when you've put so much time and effort into planning your session.

I'm an assessor trying to get my head around these new standards and unfortunately we are all guinea pigs! We are trying to standardise interpretation across the college and at present are not sure what the external verifiers are expecting to see. Therefore we're probably asking candidates to produce more work than is necessary so we cover every angle of the PC's. It will get easier though!

If you need any help, I'll do my best (but please remember I'm still learning them too!)

Sharon

Hi Sharon

Hi Sharon

Thank you for your comments! I am sure the pressure is on you as much as I am feeling the pressure.Here is a quick question for you

I am about to produce a report for Unit 305 Activity 9 The child protection system: covering the legal frameworks, national and local guidelines and codes of practice for my setting plus my role.

Am I correct in assuming the "legal frameworks" are Government legislation and requirements i.e The Children Act 1989 etc?

I am confident in the other requirements but just not sure what I am looking for in Legal Frameworks!

If you get a chance to reply I would be truly grateful and helps me to research the right subjects!!!

Kitty Kotty aka Julie

• 5 months later...

Hi Kitty and everyone else

Just joined the forum today, Im new to working in a nursery setting, at 28 decided on a total career change and have started working at my local private nursery, (which I love) I am also doing the Level 3 NVQ in Childcare, Learning and Education, I am also unsure of what im doing, the nursery and the tutor have put me on the level 3 because I have a University Degree (although NOT IN CHILDCARE) I am trying to work through it, but the tutor is very vauge at explaining what I should be doing and im still not 100% sure if what I am doing is right. So finding this forum has been a god send, I am sure I will be on here alot.

Melx

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I did the NVQ3 in Early Years Care and Education a couple of years ago and I'm afraid I was not impressed, whether it was the course, the tutors, me or the fact that we were guinea pigs for the new paper free NVQ I cannot say because this is my only experience of NVQ qualifications., but nobody seemed to know what they were doing, so we were floundering around. Your comments really rang bells with me.

All I can say is keep plugging away at it, understand that it is not you but try to do your best despite everything.

With regard to the assessor not turning up, it would have been totally unacceptable for us not to be ready for an assessor, so would have thought s/he could have made contact at least to explain or someone from the college.

Could you prepare a witness statement explaining what you did and what it covered and get it signed by your colleagues as evidence of what you did? Did anyone take photos?

After my experience with my local college I decided not to do the FD with them but try the OU instead which I'm told is very good.

Welcome again, you've come to the right place for help by joining the forum.

As you can see by previous comments of empathy, one of the assets of joining the forum is that you will soon feel that YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

I've always thought that the content of NVQ's are very thorough but the administration and experience of it's methodology can be sooo frustrating, keep at it, have faith in that you know you are doing your best, the children certainly appreciated all your preparation work and don't let the process get you down too much, there is always someone here to help at those frustrating times.

Welcome to you both and good luck with your continued studies. :D

Peggy

hi Mel,

im 28 and also have a degree (not in childcare) and after helping out by taking a job in a summer club in my "gap year" 4 years ago instead of going back to do a pgce, i did my level 3 in childcare. im now an assessor and running a sucessful daycare, wraparound facility for up to approx 40 children at the moment.

Im now having to get to grips with the new standards too, but im sure everyone on here will help and support you, even if its just to listen.

My advice is to enjoy your new choice of career, its very fulfilling. Use your instict and read through the NVQ handbooks to improve your knowledge.

The paperwork is mostly about logging what you do, why you do it, and if it all goes wrong, what you learn from it for next time.

I always tell my staff and students, that if there is something they dont understand...there is no such thing as a stupid question, so ask away.

Good Luck, and if you need any help just post a new topic to ask, and im sure one of us can help you. :)

• 3 months later...

Its been a while since I logged on but I felt I should let you all know that I completed my NVQ3 CCLD in In July 2006 taking me 9 months. It was finally signed off and a certificate issued Nov 2006! I don't think any of it was difficult just frustrating when you are not getting the support you need and deserve.

Yippee I just wanted to tell the world as I had felt like chucking it all in after my assessor changed 3 times in 4 months. I eventually had an assessor who was an angel in disguise and made my journey much easier. I used to meet her every other week, email and text. :o:):)

My advice is stick with it. Read the handbook thoroughily and see it through to the end.

Good Luck, take control and do it!!!!

Kitty Kotty aka Julie x

Well done and thanks for sharing your success with us, it just goes to show that perseverence wins. :D:D ( with a little support from forum friends :o )

Peggy

• 9 months later...

Just started my nvq3 couldnt of started on the nice unit no straight into legislation. I need help people please. anything you have on acts 1989 n 2004 come on clever peeps help.

explain how legislation promotes equalitu, discrimination, inclusion and confidentiality, disclosure information and how legislation affects how you relate to and interact with the children.

soo lond winded aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :oxD:(

Hi Lizafass :oxD

I presume you mean the Childrens acts 89 and 04?

Theres loads of info out there mostly the 2004 version. I just typed Childrens act into google and got loads of sites.

These is just 1 of them Childrens Act 2004

The legislation in the act decides what our policies include. I really cant think off the top of my head at the moment, worked with a terror today so need coffee.

Others will be along with more concise help though. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)