Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The New Fsp

after being on an inspiring course today about continuing effective early years practise into Y1, we were advised to view and make comments on the all new f.S.p document, but i am struggling to find it, does anyone know the link?

I havent had chance to read the document yet but is this going to affect the curriculum we deliver? What implications will it have for reception year?

Jo

Been trying to find peoples opinions on the new EYFS - will people comments here. Have read through bits and pieces - in particular the adult:child ratio where I do have concerns - is this the right place to comment. I think there will certainly be some interesting comments here and I would like to see peoples opinions.

Steve, is this the place to be to discuss?

Nikki

There are lots of differences and we all need to look at the consultation document in it's draft form and reply before the 28th July. Birth to three matters is very different! If we don't then we cannot moan after it's implemented. The training will begin next year and it should be in place by 2008.

It affects reception as the findings from the rose report re:synthetic phonics are now included and it lays out the order in which the letter sounds should be taught.

Please have alook at it closely and spread the word - we all need to make our views known (good and bad) before the deadline!!

If you have alook at page 20 in section 3 it talks about the profile and that there will be a handbook as well as further training on the CD-rom. They refer to the profile as the EYFS profile - sounds fishy to me! Is it all going to change????

Sue

:o

Steve I think this is so important to all the forum that maybe you should start this as a new topic somewhere for people to share their views??

Sue

Edited by sss65

From regional consultatns conference: Assessment will be the same uisng Profile at end of key stage. (I believe as the scales are statutory it takes an act of parliament to change the wordings to them) It is called the EYFS profile as a way of aligning it with being the end of the EYFS. :o

There is a consultation about changing the wording of one ELG, in Linking sounds and letters, have it at work and will try to remember to bring it home to share. This will also require govt assent to change.

Cx

Is anyone aware of the rationale behind teaching the phonemes in the groupings given? Is it linked with sound developmental evidence I wonder, or what. I am really concerned at the push on phonics in this way. If children are not developmentally ready to differentiate or express the sounds where can that leave them? Seen as failures by the system?

Lynda

The rationale is so that from the point of having one group of letters going you can make CVC words, so that children are able to blend and segment from the start. This also means that they can use these skills in their writing and reading too. Teaching of other groups would overlap with this and whilst developing new grapheme phoneme correspondences you would be consolidating previous phonemes and ongoing blending/segmenting skills.

Cx :)

Edited by catma

just had a quick glance at this, so does this mean that by 2008 the FS as we know it will chance and it will be one for birth to 5 years?... i just seem to be getting my head round this one at present never mind thinking about a new one.

I wonder would it make it easier to plan for and assess the children?...

guess i need to have a proper look at it.

Dawn

Catma

thanks for the reply.

I use Jolly Phonics as many do I expect, and that is the rationale behind that. I still find prescibing order and sets of letters, too presciptive if that is what it is saying. Will Jolly phonics have to rejig everything!!! I wonder!

Lynda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)