Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Confused!

I think I have read so many posts on the foundation profile that I feel so confused. I started reception this year for the first time, with very little knowledge of how to organise portfolios, evidence and ticking off the statements. I don't think I have evidence for everything and I honestly feel like I have failed. I would like to know the best way of organsing the profile and getting it right. Its making me feel awful!

Hi Laura, Im sure that you havent failed at all, I think the profile has that effect on many of us..there simply arent enough hours in the day to make judgements on 117 statemenst for 30 children especially if like us you only have a shared TA.

I think mnay of us acknowldge that the profile is unmanageable, and schools often put additonal demands on us too(extra assessmenst; assemblies; workshops; performance managment; over focus on SDP issues not relevant to us etcetc).

You dont need evidence for everything, much of it is your professional judgement, and there is no right way manage them either. Ther is only a way that works for you. Obviosuly you are not happy with the way you are managing them at the moment so you may need to review what you do for next year. We are doing the same.

In the time you have left this year, can you go through your profile, and indicate either areas of the curriculum or particular children that you really dont feel you know enouhg about.? Can you then build those into your planning and use any support staff you have to help you build up your knowledge in those areas or for those children? This is what we are doing at the moment. Do you have a year group partner who can support you? Can you consider going to your head to ask for some time to complete the profiles?

hang on in there. Sometimes we simply have to say..I have done my best, even thoguh I feel that isnt good enough, I know that I couldnt have done it any better in these circumstances (in my case staffing is my biggest issue).

Guest tinkerbell

Great advice I agree too, we juggle so many things ....I did find the Foundation profile dividers useful this year ...some one made them and put them on this site (you will need to do a search)...we put photos behind each divider which has the stepping stone/early learning goal typed on.

By checking through each half term you do see the areas you havent covered as well.

Tinkerbell

Hi Laura, Im sure that you havent failed at all, I think the profile has that effect on many of us..there simply arent enough hours in the day to make judgements on 117 statemenst for 30 children especially if like us you only have a shared TA.

55701[/snapback]

I'm lucky in that my LEA is realistic and do NOT expect FS teachers to provide evidence for EVERY statement EVERY year. They are willing to accept that we are professionals and KNOW our children. To this end we are expected to build up the portfolio of evidence over a number of years as a professional resource. We cover 6-8 statements per year (with 3 pieces of evidence for each statement so a total of 18- 24 pieces Much more workable). After all as has been said in previous threads it is our judgements that are being moderated NOT the children.

Tinkerbell, I have seen those dividers and look good but not totally sure how to use them. Do put them in 6 folders for each area of learning. Then do you collect evidence for each child and put it in each statement.

Unfortunately I do not have a year partner, so I rely very much on what people say in here, which often can be confusing.

Is ok to say, I know that this child can change for P.E by himself without having it written down.

I know someone who is a year one teacher and they perphaps have a glance at the profiles but they start to create their own picture of the child through their assessment. So writing so much down collecting so much evidence seems a waste of time.

when I taught year 1, I didin'tn have to collect all this evidence, I just knew where my children were at.

Laura xx

We use the dividers to create a class profile folder. We DO NOT put a piece of evidence for EACH child in the folder. That would be a huge unrealistic amount of paperwork (my opinion) As I said above the idea in my LEA is to create an overall picture. We do keep special pieces of work for the children which are put into a book to share with parents but NOT for every statement.

Our profile folder contains things like post it notes where we have observed something in passing and writen it down/ photographs / photocopies of children's recorded work and formal observations. (After 3years we still do not have evidence for all 117 statements!!!!) But my LEA assures me this isnt expected.

Hi Laura,

You are not alone! Don't worry and don't think for a minute that you have failed in anyway whatsoever.

What fantastic advice from Mundia - I totally agree.

If it helps I have attached a class ob sheet which I have found SO useful this year

For example, when children getting changed for PE you can tick off /note anything against the learning intention. It is then easy to feed into the Profile (you just have one piece of paper)

I have a class ob file divided into the subjects where I put the class obs.

Of course, this is just one way, I think your individual observations from child initiated are the most useful & valuable (but unfortunately not very time effective or the easiest to manage)

The Profile is unmanagable and we shouldn't be afraid to say so!

Class_Observation_Sheet.doc

The Profile is unmanagable and we shouldn't be afraid to say so!

55756[/snapback]

I quite agree :D

So for those of you who have read the EYFS consulation document more closely than I have-- is there any indication that the profile might be reviewed? I didnt think so??!

Like you I have just managed to skim (was thrown out of the school media room today while attempting to print off the rest of the document) but the nursery teacher commented that assessment seemed to being staying the same for now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)