Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Should I Apply?

Help,

I am having a real dilemna at the moment. I am currently the teacher in charge at a maintained nursery round the corner from my house with a part time head teacher (for 6 years). There are two jobs going in nearby towns that are both for deputies of children's centres.

I am swinging daily from being enthusiastic and wanting to apply to feeling that I have not finished what I have started at the nursery I am at. Ideally I would like to be looking for jobs this time next year. However these posts have come up now.

There is the requirement of flexible hours - does this mean working in the holidays? (I have a 4 year old so I like to share this time with her) Also both posts have a Senco responsibility.

I have not had experience of birth to three in a teaching sense although I do offer advice to the local childminders group and I have some involvement with the sure start group that come into nursery every week.

As for my current situation. We have gone from special measures (due to management problems) to being 'potentially a flagship nursery for the county". I have been deeply involved with the changes that have taken place and I am really excited about planning further improvements that will be made next year. However our head teacher is only here temporarily until next summer and they will then be advertising for a permanent head. This means that I either need to consider headship or I have to work for (yet) another head (5 in 6 years so far).

My husband doesn't want me to apply for another job as this one takes up so much of my time but he doesn't realise how much extra I have had to put in to get us where we are.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what to do.

I know I should just apply to gain experience but I feel I should have it in my mind whether I actually want the job I am applying for.

Thanks in advance

Sue

If I had my time over again I would have made the decision to move from a job in a school I loved, rather than stay and miss out on some wonderful chances. My regret is that I didn't have the courage to move on and up and influence more practitioners in the best practice, and therefore benefit more children. I hope that doesn't sound pompous. If I were younger I would be applying for a post like this- I would just have to alter my holiday pattern, but that is difficult for teachers who are used to long holidays at the same time as their own children.

You have to decide your priorites and discuss these with your husband. It you want to work in the Early Years the next year or so are going to be a time of change. Children's Centres are very much in the forefront and there are lots of jobs available, once filled they will be filled for some time to come. As a Deputy you will be in a position to study for the special NPQH designed for Chidlren's Centre Managers, which can only be studied for if you work in one. This qualification will give you the chance to be Head of your own one day if that is want you aspire to. Working in a Children's Centre will lead to working with more outside agencies and pre-school, wrap around care etc. and they are open in the holidays so you will have a different contract. I think leedwa has a lot of good information about how they run on another thread. don't undersell yourself.

If this isn't for you then perhaps you will be happy where you are and you will have a big change ahead with a new HT- it may be good or bad. Don't stay somewhere too long, or you can get too comfortable, if you wish to have career progression- look at the trends and decide what is best for you.

Hope this helps.

I would also appreciate some advice on moving out of a teachers role (pay scale) and into a consultancy role which is paid on the Soulbury scale ,Does anyone out there know how this compares.I am 52 yrs young and have been in the same school for many years I would love to take this move but realise I should have done it years ago.Is it too late-will it be detrimental to my future financial security.I dont mean to sound as if money is all Im worried about but I think I need to take it into consideration.Can you help with any good advice please :)

Edited by Guest

hi Susie, dont envy you that dilemma and dont know which way you should jump. Hindsight is a wondeful tool and you need to weigh up the pros and cons of these jobs carefully, although I guess youre doing that already!

You may not have these opportunities again for a while so have you been to visit? That might help you make up your mind, you also have nothing to loose by applying and seeing what happens and I think that is the option I would take.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Crestacat, doesnt Soulbury pay better than TPS?

soulbury is just a different pay scale and your pay will depend on the range of points offered with the job. I was on more as DH than I am on as a consultant!! I know it sounds stupid bit I'm far happier. Anyway you'll have locally agreed holiday entitlement (i get 34 days for being in local govt service for more than 10 years, this includes teaching) and in our borough this is mainly taken in school holiday time. The rest of the holidayswe are in the office doing lots of catch up or can sometimes work from home. It works out as 2-3 days each half term, 6-8 at christmas, a week at easter and the rest I try to take in the summer. It's still more than most of my friends! Oh and you would also have to join the local govt pension scheme, although you could transfer your teachers pension if you wanted to.

Cx

Edited by catma

Catma ,Marion thanks for your replies I will apply for the job and cross this bridge when I come to it ,Might not even get an interview so no good worrying :)

Crestacatx

Catma ,Marion  thanks for your replies I will apply for the job and cross this bridge when I come to it ,Might not even get an interview so no good worrying  :)

Crestacatx

55632[/snapback]

Good Luck! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)