Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Changing our PSLA 1994 constitution to 2011 model

We currently have the PSLA 1994 constitution and need to change it to the 2011 model. I wondered at your EGM/AGM how you explained the benefits of moving to the constitution to your members? We struggle for parents to commit to being committee members and I recognise the 2011 constitution allows for staff members to form part of the committee. Are there any other benefits and ways in which the 2011 constitution makes it easier to fulfil charity commission regulations? 

Hi and welcome to the forum. This isn't an area where I have much expertise sorry, so hopefully someone else will be around to offer assistance soon. In the meantime, I'm currently exploring some of the AI tools that are developing fast, and had never really thought about how they could be used to help for things like this, so I hope you don't mind, but I popped your question into Bard (from Google) and Bing Chat. These are the responses I got: 

Bard

There are a number of benefits to moving to the PSLA 2011 constitution, including:

• Greater flexibility: The 2011 constitution gives parent groups more flexibility in how they are run. This includes the ability to have a staff-run committee, which can be helpful in recruiting and retaining committee members.
  • Reduced administrative burden: The 2011 constitution is shorter and simpler than the 1994 constitution, which can help to reduce the administrative burden on committee members.
  • Improved compliance with charity law: The 2011 constitution is designed to help parent groups comply with the latest charity law requirements.

In addition to these general benefits, the 2011 constitution also includes a number of specific provisions that can be helpful for parent groups, such as:

• The ability to appoint a co-chair: This can be helpful in sharing the workload and ensuring that the committee is always able to function.
  • The ability to establish sub-committees: This can be helpful in delegating specific tasks and projects.
  • The ability to hold virtual meetings: This can be helpful for parents who are unable to attend meetings in person.

If you are considering moving to the PSLA 2011 constitution, I would encourage you to speak to your members about the benefits of doing so. You can also find more information on the PSLA website.

Here are some specific examples of how the 2011 constitution can make it easier to fulfil charity commission regulations:

• The 2011 constitution includes a number of provisions that help to ensure that the parent group is accountable to its members. These provisions include the requirement to hold an annual general meeting (AGM) and to keep proper financial records.
  • The 2011 constitution also includes a number of provisions that help to ensure that the parent group is managed in a safe and responsible way. These provisions include the requirement to have a written health and safety policy and to conduct regular risk assessments.

By moving to the PSLA 2011 constitution, parent groups can help to ensure that they are complying with all of the latest charity commission regulations.

Bing 

Hello, this is Bing. I can help you with some information about the PSLA 2011 constitution and how it differs from the 1994 version. Here are some of the benefits of moving to the 2011 constitution:

• The 2011 constitution allows for staff members to be part of the committee, as long as they do not form a majority or hold the positions of chair, treasurer or secretary1. This can help with recruitment and retention of committee members, as well as ensuring continuity and expertise in the management of the setting.
  • The 2011 constitution also allows for co-opted members to join the committee, who are not necessarily parents or carers of children attending the setting1. This can help to bring in additional skills and perspectives to the committee, as well as increasing the diversity and representation of the community.
  • The 2011 constitution simplifies the quorum requirements for general meetings and committee meetings, making it easier to hold valid meetings and make decisions1. The quorum for a general meeting is 10% of the members or 10 members, whichever is the greater, and the quorum for a committee meeting is 50% of the committee members1.
  • The 2011 constitution also clarifies the roles and responsibilities of the committee members, the procedures for elections and resignations, the powers and duties of the committee, the financial and reporting obligations, and the dissolution clause1. These changes can help to ensure good governance and compliance with the charity law and regulations.

To explain these benefits to your members, you could use the following points:

• Moving to the 2011 constitution will enable us to have a more diverse and effective committee, with staff members and co-opted members bringing in their valuable skills and experience.
  • Moving to the 2011 constitution will make it easier for us to hold meetings and make decisions, without worrying about the quorum or the technicalities of the constitution.
  • Moving to the 2011 constitution will help us to meet the standards and expectations of the charity commission and the PSLA, as well as safeguarding the interests and assets of our setting.

I hope this helps you with your EGM/AGM. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. 😊

• Like 2