Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scaffolding Learning

As part of our accreditation scheme we have been looking at scaffolding children's learning. Trouble is most of us are a bit vague about exactly what this means. Where can I find out more? Can anyone give any examples?

Thanks

Al

As part of our accreditation scheme we have been looking at scaffolding children's learning. Trouble is most of us are a bit vague about exactly what this means. Where can I find out more? Can anyone give any examples?

Thanks

Al

54667[/snapback]

I think Scaffolding can take many forms , for example if you were scaffolding the writing process you might use writing frames to help the children. I think Jerome Bruner or Lev Vygotsky had some theories on scaffolding if I remember my theory days correctly!!Have tried an internet search but got lots of scaffolding companies!!!

I did a search for Jerome Bruner, constructionist theory and found this

Here

This looks at the Spiral curriculum as well. Basically scaffolding is coming from the child, what they know now what they are interested in and extending this learning. Bruner's approach is active learning. The spiral curriculum looks at the need to re-visit prior learning in the same and different contexts and to build / develop upwards from this.

Or try Vygotsky.

Good luck, it is difficult to "translate" theoretical reading to everyday language and practice, but well worth the effort.

Peggy

scafolding website

http://condor.admin.ccny.cuny.edu/~group4/

True learning occurs when information is integrated into an individual's knowledge base. According to Graves and Braaten, scaffolding is defined as the process by which an expert provides temporary support to learners to "help bridge the gap between what [the learner] know and can do and what [he or she] need to accomplish in order to succeed at a particular learning task."

Van_Der_Stuyf_Paper.doc

Edited by Marion

On a handout from a course Scaffolding was described as follows:-

" This entails holding the task difficulty constant while simplifying the child's role by means of graduated assistance from the adult / expert."

Hi!

I'm not sure which accreditation scheme you are on, so I may be duplicating information that you already have, but the definition we have is:

Scaffolding facilitates improved cognitive and language development in children. Scaffolding is the matching of adult behaviour to that of the child and the chid's learning, responding to what the child knows, can do and understands.

The early years practitioner scaffolds children's learning by gearing activities, resources and interactions to the level of competence and maturity of the child (Anning, 1997) Adults are aware of potential learning and learning opportunities and make the child aware of supporting material in context and provide open-ended learning opportunities. The adults supports the child's learning by placing emphasis on what they can do, rather than what they cannot and by providing experiences slightly above the level of cognitive functioning of the child to provide challenge and stimulation whilst still being within the child's comprehension (Zone of proximal development - Vygotsky)

Good scaffolding assists:

THe learner to engage in the activity

THe learner to gradually acquire skills

The learner to internalise understanding of the task

The child can support their own learning and scaffold others

See attached diagram of how it should work...

scaffolding.doc

RB x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)