Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

FSF Event - Breakout Room Question 9 - How can leaders and managers best find support for themselves? Where do you go/what do you do for your own wellbeing?

I thought I’d add a couple of resources that may support the theme of this question.

Previously a manager in a preschool, and currently an early years lecturer, Emma Davis wrote an article for the FSF called Safeguarding the Leader: the emotional aspects of the early years leadership role.

And the Beginner’s Guide to Educator Wellbeing was created by early years educator and author Kate Moxley to support conversations about educator wellbeing.

• Like 2

I’m not sure they do, it always seems that being manager is more about making sure everyone else is treated fairly, staff, parents, children and fighting for everyone else’s rights and forget your own.

The local to me network of managers that I also considered friends and could catch up with and talk shop has dwindled greatly over the last few years so I don’t feel they really want to hear about the challenges we face in EY any more, I’ve always found great support on the forum from long standing forum ‘friends’, it would be good if a few more managers get involved in discussions on the forum 😊 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree- and we've very much valued your contributions here. 🙂

Being a leader/manager can be exhausting and lonely when you feel you're on your own- the exact reason we set up the FSF. I'm not sure whether facebook, twitter, instagram is useful in supporting current leaders; I've never felt they have the same ethos, or collective view of the importance of positive, kind support, as a professional discussion forum. It all gets a bit shouty and opinionated for me! 😬

• Like 2

On 18/07/2023 at 11:43, Helen said:

I agree- and we've very much valued your contributions here. 🙂

Being a leader/manager can be exhausting and lonely when you feel you're on your own- the exact reason we set up the FSF. I'm not sure whether facebook, twitter, instagram is useful in supporting current leaders; I've never felt they have the same ethos, or collective view of the importance of positive, kind support, as a professional discussion forum. It all gets a bit shouty and opinionated for me! 😬

Thank you 😊 

It really is lonely at times, I don’t even think your own staff team ‘get it’ really when it comes to the endless decisions you have to make, how many hats you have to wear and how the trying to please all of the people all of the time can be mentally exhausting.

I do read a couple of the manager FB groups, though rarely post, no anonymity there, always someone you know or someone who knows someone, I don’t mind an open debate but it does get quite ‘my way or the highway’ at times and it can be quite judgemental rather than supportive ….this is home 🏡 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 19/07/2023 at 23:23, Mouseketeer said:

Thank you 😊 

It really is lonely at times, I don’t even think your own staff team ‘get it’ really when it comes to the endless decisions you have to make, how many hats you have to wear and how the trying to please all of the people all of the time can be mentally exhausting.

I do read a couple of the manager FB groups, though rarely post, no anonymity there, always someone you know or someone who knows someone, I don’t mind an open debate but it does get quite ‘my way or the highway’ at times and it can be quite judgemental rather than supportive ….this is home 🏡 

Totally agree.   That is what i like about this forum 😊

• Love 2