Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hiring a hall and joint user issues

I am looking to grow from a childminder into a small nursery setting. I have an opportunity to hire 2 venues (I only need one). One is a committee run hall - the issue with this comes from the previous preschool renting the space. They told the committee that Ofsted told them that they needed a door in a corridor where the toilets are as the corridor joins 2 halls, to have a set of toilets exclusively for the preschool when they were using the one hall. When the other hall is in use this door will need to be locked. They were in loggerheads with the committee about it. The committee asked the preschool for the documentation or legislation that they needed to do this and the preschool did not show it to them. The door would be to stop toilet users using the toilet at the same time as the children. The committee installed a gate, the preschool said it was not enough. It caused a lot of friction as I understand it.

The 2nd venue has something similar but jointly used toilets by a pre existing child play pay as you go setting. So the users are children as well.

I thought that perhaps the problem could be over come with a risk assessment?

Has anyone had a similar situation over toilets?

I don't have any 'real life' advice I can offer sorry, but this might help: 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/childminders-and-childcare-providers-register-with-ofsted/registration-requirements

Under Facilities, it states: 

• make sure that no-one can enter the premises without the knowledge of you or your staff

This could be the sticking point that the previous setting experienced as, without being able to lock that door to the other hall, you wouldn't be able to be sure, unless you had someone who always was positioned at that door - which probably wouldn't be practical. 

Having it covered by your risk assessment is certainly a great idea, but finding the solution to that risk might be the trickier part!

Hopefully someone with practical advice will be able to help soon. 

I've know of settings where a staff member will actually take the child/children to a shared use toilet. The setting itself is secure from other hall users.

This was a good few years ago now though, and maybe Ofsted wouldn't register the premises now?

On 01/08/2022 at 18:58, louby loo said:

I've know of settings where a staff member will actually take the child/children to a shared use toilet. The setting itself is secure from other hall users.

This was a good few years ago now though, and maybe Ofsted wouldn't register the premises now?

That is what the previous pre school did in the first scenario but from the sounds of it it wasn't enough which is strange as there is a door from the large hall to the corridor to where the toilets are so I would say that it is secure. I am not sure about the 2nd set up yet. I am going to try and find out through Ofsted today.

On 01/08/2022 at 20:26, blondie said:

Is this something you could ask Ofsted? 

Yes, I was hoping for some ideas I can trouble shoot it with, it is a shame as otherwise the hall is really lovely and very well managed :/

On 02/08/2022 at 07:11, JGFS said:

Yes, I was hoping for some ideas I can trouble shoot it with, it is a shame as otherwise the hall is really lovely and very well managed :/

The trouble is Ofsted rules and regs change so much it would be better to ask them then get it in writing so you have it there when you have an Ofsted visit.

On 02/08/2022 at 19:56, blondie said:

The trouble is Ofsted rules and regs change so much it would be better to ask them then get it in writing so you have it there when you have an Ofsted visit.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Just to say that I have spoken to an Ofsted Inspector and they said that you would have to watch the ratios and potentially take the required number of children with you to the toilet and then you would have to consider if it would be affecting their play by taking them to the toilet if they hadn't asked to go. I spoke to an Early Years Advisor and they are going to meet me at the 2nd venue to see if they can help trouble shoot it. The toilets are in the same building just not attached to the café we would be hiring and children in my care would have sole use of the toilets now (rather than share them with the pay as you go childcare facility). Hopefully we can resolve it!

• Like 2