Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Information You Give To Parents

wellerkaren

Appriciation costs nothing shirel so I dont know why some people have to be so mean with it. Lack of appriciation was one of the reasons I left playgroup. A big thank you could have fuelled me for year :D

Start looking at local schools, write to them on the off chance they dont advertise externally, I know our local primary never advertise. Keep smiling :D

Thanks Rea, just had a lovely morning with the children which certainly made me feel better, that and your lovely comments thankyou

I think I will keep an eye out for that school job and maybe post some letters, my boss said to me this morning I pay all my staff good rates - she was talking with reference to a conversation with another preschool owner, when I actually worked it out the actual rate I receive for a managerial position its less than £6 per hour!

She pays me £8 but like I said with the extra hour or so a day that HAS to be done that scale's it down somewhat plus planning and child records, oh well I love my job let's see how long I can keep going.

Edited by Guest

Just an idea , not one of mine but a suggestion made way, way back at some sort of training!!! Could you write up an observation of a small group of children playing alongside each other creating their own play e.g Tom puts train on the track "look out Tom it will bump into mine"said Ben "no it won't" said Julie "Me & Tom are going this way to the shops in our train" "Cor can I come I need some sweets for later" Said Emily all four children move trains around the track blah, blah, blah....You would have to be carefull and ensure all children had a mention through out the term, you could extend the observation by adding in links to curriculum planning, stepping stones etc. It would make a good story book to have out on display for all parents to read, backed up with a few photos or examples of work.

I don't know if it would work coz i've never got round to trying it!!!

• 5 months later...

I know it was a while ago this topic was started but I have been doing a search for inspiration. Someone did ask if anyone had a format for contact books they could share- does anyone???

I am wanting to find a way to record what children have done and what learning they have got out of this (- and that they have gained so much more than if they were taking home a worksheet or pre planned painting!). And of course, to give this information without it involving staff spending hrs writing it..............

Oooh that sounds a great idea, I'm sure if anyone comes up with something it'll be snapped up by a lot of people!

I used to do photographic displays of the children in the nursery, regularly changed and organised under the six areas of learning - I know that's not an INDIVIDUAL contact but I always found it a very valuable way of giving parents information about what their child was learning whilst "just playing"! They used to look at the display initially to seeif their child was in any of the photos and then I would make sure that myself or another member of staff could have a chat about what the photos actually showed. The displays were always very popular and not TOO time consuming!

A bit off track with your request I know.......

We use a whiteboard to let parents know what is happening in pre-school. I write up the activities that will be going on all week with a brief explanation about them and I also write up daily activities, again with a brief explanation. This is located in the entrance way so that parents can see it as they arrive each morning.

Linda

We do similar to you Linda, but ours is blank at the start of the session. During the session we write in who helped prepare the snacks, what was available on the snack bar. Then two columns headed Spontaneous Activities (or requested) - includes resources and activities that the children self select or ask for if not out the store cupboard, and Adult initiated activities.( includes story we have read and songs we have sung, walks out and anything adult led)

I take a photo of the completed board at the end of the day as well, for my diary records. :D

Other ways to inform parents is each child has a scrapbook, written comments as they happen are done and stuck in the file, photo's, art work, momento's from walks etc and learning identified and crossed referenced to 6 areas, the front inside cover has a CD holder where photo's are stored, some are printed and stuck to the pages. The back two pages are for noting comments from parents and a messages page - comments about development observed at home, messages from us to parents or vise versa. Parents have access to these scrapbooks at any time to take home, but they must be returned within 2 days or obs notes are difficult to store instead of placing straight into the scrapbooks.

Peggy

I think displays are a great idea but the parents till want a contact book too. Like the scrap bok idea- how often do parents take it home, is it updated daily??

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)