Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bespoke Frameworks: Creating a CSV

Lauren

To upload a bespoke framework to Tapestry you'll need to have it saved as a 'CSV' file. This is just a type of Excel file. 

Below you can see an example of a completed bespoke framework CSV. 

Excel doc full screenshot.png

You may find it useful to download a copy of it (click on the file below to download it) and keep it open as you read through these instructions.

ks1y1 Example Bespoke Framework.csv

When you're creating your CSV file you will need to consider two things: the ‘Components’ and ‘Details’ of your framework. I'll cover these later in the tutorial, but you can also read more about them in this tutorial

Details

Each column you see in the screenshot above is for a particular type of Detail

The Details are the full content of your bespoke framework. They are what you’ll see when you’re looking at the assessment picker on observations. They will be any and all subject area names, aspect names, statements, objectives, or targets. 

In my screenshot everything apart from the row A of the spreadsheet (highlighted in yellow below), is a Detail. Row A is different as these are the Components of your framework, we’ll come onto this concept in a bit.

2022-05-03_12-07-38.png

I’ll now breakdown the example CSV further for you.

If you look at Column A you can see in row 1 the title of this column is ‘Subject’. So listed in this column are all the subjects (English, Maths, and Science etc.) that make up this framework. Everything highlighted in the screenshot below, so all the subject names, are ‘Details’. Only row 1 is not a Detail.

2022-05-04_10-37-56.png

Column E in the CSV shows the 'Statements'. Again, everything highlighted here is a Detail. That's everything other than the title of ‘Statement’ on row 1. 

2022-05-04_10-39-38.png

It is important that similar Details all go in the same column e.g. all statements should be grouped together in the same column. 

Repeated words

You may have already noticed that in column A, I have repeated the subject names quite a lot, but all the Statements in column E are unique. 

To see why, let’s take a look at some of the full rows for English. 

Each row needs to make sense by itself. You need to make sure that you can pick any cell and be able to tell from the rest of the row where you'd be able to find it in your framework.

If I looked at C14 I would find 'Word Reading'. I would be able to tell that I can find it in 'English' and then 'Reading' within my framework by looking at the cells to the left of it, and that there will be nine 'Statements' within it - 'Apply phonic knowledge and skills as the route to decode words' down to 'Re-read these books to build up their fluency and confidence in word reading'. 

I could look at any of those 9 statements and see that they all belong in 'English' > 'Reading' > 'Word Reading'. 

2022-05-04_10-42-20.png

Lets take a quick look at what this will look like on Tapestry so you have some context.

When you first import it into Tapestry via the 'upload your CSV' tool it'll look something like this:

Import structure preview.png

You can see how the further right columns are nested into the further left ones. 

When it is enabled for your observations, it'll look like this. 

KS1 Year 1 assessment picker.png

As you can see, repeating a Detail doesn't mean it'll show up multiple times, but you need to do it so Tapestry knows where to put all the nested Details. 

Back to the spreadsheet! 

Every time you want to repeat the same Detail you can either rewrite it (which is what I've done), or use “ “. This lets our system know that you want to just repeat what is above. You can use this as many times as you like, it will keep looking up the rows until it finds a cell with something in (even if that's just a blank space to indicate that nothing should be there). 

CSV with repeat marks instead of words.png

Blank Cells

You may have noticed there some blank cells, for example the first row of English > Spoken Language. Here you have something for column A (Subject), B (Area) and E (the Statements) but nothing for columns C and D (the Aspects and Statement Groups). 

Assessment picker inconsistent Components.png

It is absolutely fine to leave a cell empty. These boxes won’t appear as empty when you have uploaded your framework to Tapestry.

Below you can see how this framework appears on Tapestry. Look immediately under 'Spoken Language'. There was nothing in column C or D, so the picker has jumped straight to what was in column E. 

Components 

You've likely already thought about 'Components' without really realising it. These are your overall headings for each type of Detail - they will each be a broad word (or words) to describe all the things in a column. For example, in the column with ‘English’ and ‘Science’, the Component could be ‘Subject’.

The other Components for this framework are shown highlighted below in row A of the spreadsheet. They are: Subject, Area, Aspect, Statement Group and Statement.

2022-05-04_10-48-47.png

These Component names won't be visible on the assessment picker within observations, but they will be useful later to help you quickly find the assessment you're looking for.

Final notes on the spreadsheet content

• Earlier on I mentioned that you need to put all similar Details in the same column. To explain that a different way, don't mix Components in the same column. E.g. Don't put any Aspect names in the same column as any Statements. If you do, you'll find that your framework gets all jumbled up when it's on Tapestry and it won't be so easy to navigate.  
  • Finally, please do not skip adding a Component name if you can't think of one. It's fine to use something generic as long as you know what it means e.g. 'Aspect 1' and 'Aspect 2'. 

Saving the file as a CSV

Once you’re done you need to save it as a comma delimited file (CSV). This is the final step before you can import it!

All you need to do is:

Select 'File' and 'Save As'.

image.png

Find where you want to save it within your file explorer.

Give it a name, and click the 'Save as Type' drop down. Then choose CSV (Comma delimited).

Snag_1116068c.png

And that's it! Now you're ready to import the spreadsheet into Tapestry. For some help with how to do that, you might want to go to the Bespoke Frameworks: Uploading your CSV file tutorial. Alternatively, you can skip ahead to the tutorial on 'Bespoke Frameworks: Scales, Details & Components'.

If you've got any questions, email us here: customer.service@eyfs.info

Go back to Main Tutorials Page