Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice for supporting emotional development

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice. I have a child in my class who is very bright and making good progress academically, however there are many occasions when he is overwhelmed by his emotions. His reactions to tiny incidents are extreme. For example when a child bumped him, accidentally, he wasn't hurt but he screamed like he had broken his arm. '

He cries sometimes when watching numberblocks, he can cry at lunch time, when he is asked to do something. However these reactions are completely random, no pattern, some days fine other days not. Parent have said he is very confident at home. I have seen evidence of this through our remote learning sessions. However at school he struggles to cope. He is very passive and tends to play alone.

I am aware this is sounding like it could be SEN or attachment issues and this is of course being monitored. However we all know how overstretched services are so I am unlikely to get any support for him (especially as he is making progress). I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I can support this child right now. Have you had a child like this what worked to support them? 

Most of the time he says he is tired when we ask what may have upset him. We are working on him expressing his feelings. Now we have had another lockdown this could be worse when we return.

Any advice greatly appreciated! 

We have a couple of boys who are really struggling with anxiety and are both finding every day life really hard, we are doing everything we can, keeping parents informed, spending time supporting emotional outbursts, listening and talking though worries and concerns but I am not going to lie, It is emotionally draining for us staff, the intensity of it all is exhausting. I think we are going to see so much more of this moving forward out of lockdown. 

I think understanding that anyone, what ever their age can be anxious is important. Children cannot and will not always be happy. The "i can see you are worried" phrase works well. Appreciate that you understand his stress. maybe ask if you can help? is there anything i can do to make you less sad? etc.

Can you offer a hug? 

These children have been watching some really inappropriate messages on the TV about death and loss. Parents think they are not listening but they are and they are too young to understand fully. It may be time to have the talk between his friends about  the virus and what has happened, but this is a call you need to make as I don't know if this will help or make things worse with this little one.

I had a young lad many years ago who's mum was expecting triplets....everyone went on about it for months but didn't explain it to him. He very definitely had depression. He would burst in to tears for no reason as soon as the babies were born and he knew what was happening he 'recovered'

Such a tricky time for all......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)