Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What To Do?

I have my NVQ3 but would like to go a step further and gain a new qualification but i dont know what to do and who to go to about courses. I thought about a foundation degree with the OU. What do you think?

There will be lots of things coming on board very soon and I would be very careful about choosing what qualification you want to do. There is so much going on in the CWDC with the new Integrated Qualificaitons Framework coming in. I am not too sure they know quite what will be what but I suppose the £49 million they are spending trying to create this might give us all a better idea of what might be required in the future. I would definitely look at a lot of options before deciding on what you really want to do and then have it checked out. Check out their site as I think it gives some timescales of when they propose to have all these different qualificaitons sorted out.

As Hali says it is worth it and you get an awful lot out of it and there will be money from the Transformation Fund coming in soon to help with fees etc so don;t rush into anything, although apart from the £450million they have, they have not yet agreed on how it is all going to be spent. I suggest doing some background research, find out what area you would really like to do and then see what happens over the next couple of months

Nikki

I decided to do the foundation degree through a local college. I looked on the ucas website for places that do it and was accepted within a couple of days! Other things I thought about doing was the assessors award, NVQ3 in management, NVQ4. I am still interested in doing the assessors award, but for now, quite fancy going back to college! I've got a 2 year old to work around, but luckily my college/uni course is part time over 2 years so it fits in well around the baby and work (1 evening per week and 1 sat a month!)

Good luck though in finding something else to do!

Clare

I also have a Level 3 and wanted to do something else, I have started the Certificate in Early Years Practice with the OU. This is a Level 4 and depending how I get on, I can then add to it to make up the Foundation degree if I want to!

Jenni x

I will finish the NVQ3 in July and have just applied to a local uni to do the Foundation Degree, I am worried that I am too keen but feel if I stop now I may never start again and at present enjoying the study. Is the Foundation Degree really difficult or a progression of study, don't want to be bogged down, still want to be able to enjoy learning as much as I can, the word Degree frightens me!!

Shirel

Edited by Guest

Thanks Hali!

Worried about the amount of work involved, the woman who interviewed told me it would be quite similar to the way textbooks were written! Frightened me somewhat, but others are giving it a go. Plus I'm up for the challenge!! The other good thing is that my best friend has been accepted on the same course so we'll be able to do it together!

Clare

In our borough we are going to try and start a support group for all the Leaders who are doing the foundation Degree. We felt that all of us wanted to do it but felt that we were very much all on our own. will keep every one posted on how it goes. as individuals it can seem daunting to have to start something when you may not be doing it through a college. some of us have found that the times foe us to get to the colleges are difficult so more of us are opting for the OU. good luck to every one who is doing it.

I think one of the things to consider is how the qualification is viewed in your area/setting. My nursery nurse completed the Foundation Degree 2 years ago and when I mentioned this at a recent meeting for extended services I was told 'its useless' as her mentor and knowing how much effort went into obtaining it this is extremely frustrating. It seems to be the opinion here is its not needed in primary schools. Dont know if any other areas are getting negative responses to this qualification????

Im afraid that is what is being said by some primary head teachers and in spite of her being the most highly qualified TA in my school she wasnt considered for HLTA training. Seems its like lots of past qualifications they only matter if the employer sees them as worthwhile. Im sure if she applied for a post in a Sure Start setting in the area she would be snapped up as job advertisements for these posts mention the Foundation degree however she prefers to work in a school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)