Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Android/Fire app update FAQs

Hi Weavers,

We recently published an update to the Android/Fire app which includes lots of background changes to help how the app run more smoothly as well as some new features! 

In this post we're going to cover what these new features are as well as some other frequently asked questions about the Android app. 

What are the new features available on this update?

• Memos and Planned Activities are now visible - If you have permission to, you can comment on and like these. You can also respond to planned activities with an observation. It's not currently possible to create or edit memos and planned activities on the app so this will need to be done through the browser version of Tapestry. 
  • Filters for memos and planned activities - If you only want to view one particular type of post e.g. observations, memos or activities, you can use the page filters located at the bottom of the main feed screen. 
  • Switch schools/nursery/childminder - This feature can save you time because you won't need to press 'Logout' to open a completely different Tapestry account. You can now swipe between the PIN login pages of two or more accounts.  Please note, this feature only works for switching accounts between two completely separate Tapestry packages. This tutorial talks staff through how to use this feature and this one explains how parents/relative can do this. 

How can I check I have the latest version of the app?

• If you have auto-updates enabled on your device then you will have been automatically updated to the latest version of the Android app. If not, you can do this by going to the Play/App store, searching for Tapestry and updating it there. 
  • You can check you are on the latest version of the app by opening the app and staying on the login page. At the bottom you should see some writing that starts 'Version....' (1). The version number is the bit highlighted in yellow in the screenshot below (2). The most up to date version number for the Android app is 4.0.1

2021-01-26_11-31-59.jpg

• If your version number is 3.2 and then has another number afterwards, 3.2.22 for example, this means you are using the old Android app. This tutorial explains how to download the new app. 

Is the Care Diary available on the app?

• At the moment the Care Diary is not available on either the iOS or Android app but we are working on adding it! If you would like to be updated about this, please get in touch with us by emailing customer.service@eyfs.info.

I'm trying to switch schools and it's not letting me?

• Unfortunately this feature won't work for devices on Android 7.0 and Fire OS 6 or below, so the first thing to check is what Android/OS your device is on.
  • If you know you're on Android 8.0/ Fire OS 7 or higher, the other thing to note that is that an account won’t show up when you swipe to switch accounts until you have logged into it with a PIN. If you aren't sure whether you have done this, login using your email and password, leave the app, login again using your PIN, then try to switch accounts. 
  • This tutorial explains the full process of how to use the switch school/nursery/childminder function. 
  • If you're still having trouble switching schools after checking these things, please get in touch with us by emailing customer.service@eyfs.info

How do I receive push notifications on the app?

• This tutorial talks you through how to enable push notifications on a device. Please note, if you are a parent/relative using Tapestry, you will only be able to use this feature if this has been enabled for you. If it hasn't been, you will need to speak to a manager on your account about this. 
  • Unfortunately push notifications do no work on Amazon Fire devices, so if you are using one of these, you will not be able to receive push notifications. 

How do I enable the offline mode?

• This tutorial talks you through how to enable the offline mode on a device. Please note, if you are a parent/relative using Tapestry, you will only be able to use this feature if this has been enabled for you. If it hasn't been, you will need to speak to a manager on your account about this.

I'm not seeing filters for the memos and planned activities? 

• It's not possible for parents/relatives to filters posts on the app, so if you are a parent or relative, you won't have the option to do this. 
    • If you are a staff member and using version 4.0.1 of the app but can't see the filters for Memos and Activities you just need to delete your cached data. You can do this by tapping on 'You' in the top left-hand corner. 

Screenshot_20210126-120247.png

Then scroll down that page to the bottom and select the option 'Delete local data'.

Screenshot_20210126-120259.png

Finally, on this page, you will need to tap on the option to 'Delete cached data'. 

Screenshot_20210126-120308.png

I've uploaded a video to an observation and now I can't see it?

• Once you have uploaded a video to Tapestry it needs to be processed on our end before you are able to view it. Whilst this is happening you won't be able to see it within the observation but as soon as it has finished processing, you will be able to see the video. If you have only just uploaded a video, please wait for a little bit for the video to be processed. 

I've uploaded an observation and can't see it in the list? 

• If you didn't give a title or add children to an observation, the observation will be saved as a draft. You'll be able to tell if you have any drafts on your device as at the top of the list on the main home feed it will say '[number of drafts] draft observation/s on this device' as indicated by the screenshot below.

Screenshot_20210126-124730.png
      Tapping on where it says you have draft observations will take you to a screen where you can see the draft observation/s on your device. Select one to edit it. You will then be able to add a title or children to the observation (depending on what it is missing) and you can then upload it. 

Screenshot_20210127-095957.png

Another reason why you might not be able to see an observation is because it is queued, meaning it hasn't been uploaded to our servers yet. This could be because you are using the offline mode and your device is not currently online or it could be because you don't have a strong enough internet connection to upload the observation. Either way what will happen is at the top of the list of posts it will say '[number of uploads] upload queued'.

Screenshot_20210127-100115.png

If you tap on that on the next screen it will show you the observation that is queued. As soon as you have a strong enough internet connection, the upload will begin and it will then move from here, to your list of observations. 

Screenshot_20210127-101133.png

I've edited an observation and can't see the changes?

• This may be because the edits were saved as a draft as opposed to the changes being saved to the live observation. If you follow the initial steps in 'I've uploaded an observation and can't see it in the list?' you can see how to find and upload a draft observation.