Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed Ofsted

Guest sophie

Hi just found out go an Ofsted inspection soon, any advice out there. Think I've got most things covered but any tips would be great. My setting is a Pre-school ages 2 to 4 years :oxD:(:(

Hi Sophie

Have you looked in the inspections forum? There are some ideas in there that others have posted about what OFSTED are looking for.

We had ours in November and, although it was quite daunting, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. We got an overall good for our education aspect with very good in PSED and maths and for our relationship with parents. We also got a good for the care aspect.

I would say that you need to be positive and confident about what you are doing and argue your case if you don't agree. One of the things we were pulled up on in the feed back was a lack of writing stuff in the home corner, diaries etc. We have them in there all the time, pencils, little note pads, a huge diary etc. but as always they had gone walkabout. So I told the inspector and she accepted what I said.

Another good idea is to go onto the OFSTED website and look at the outcomes for inspections for other settings, both in your area and elsewhere. It gives you an insight into what inspectors are looking for, quite often a common theme pops up. But remember, they often have a pet subject, such as privacy and dignity for children going to the toilet, or self help skills at snacktime so your inspector might pick up on something else.

Do you have an operational plan? I know it states in the guidance that this can be a number of files or documents in different areas. But I found it so much easier to hand over one file with everything in it. Then if they had a question I could say where it was in the plan.

When is your inspection? If I can give any more help just let me know.

Linda

Forgot to say, that with the operational plan I have now started to have two copies of everything, one for where it belongs pinned on a notice board or in a folder for parents and one for the plan folder. That way if something goes missing we have a back up copy.

Linda

• 6 months later...

If you have any photos from pervious years that show good practice then put them in display books with the stepping stone/ELG (printed on sticky lables) next to them divided into areas of learning. This was a great hit at my Nov OFSTED. Plan what you want the inspectors to see and invite them to it. Take control it is you setting and they are your children and you know how to show them at their best. Good luck and enjoy it.

as linda says have a look in the inspections forum, but as long as all your policeies and procedures are up to date and your all prepared you will be fine, the thought of it is much worse than the reality :D:o

RElax! had mine last week. all the inspectors were a lot more personable than we thought they would be. we were lucky as they were very up on EY's. if they ask tricky questions you say 'we re monitoring that at the moment to develop it further'. OUr Schools advisor told us to ask the inspectors during feedback how we could have reached the next higher grade etc. We use a lot of sticky-notes for the FSP. we got criticised for it, buut a beacon school who were inspected a few months previously got praised for it. just depends on your team i suppose. just relax as much as you can and be yourself. know thats like talking a foreign language because nothing you say helps. however, you can but wine at tesco s especially designed to help you unwind, thik its about £6.50 a bottle. then there s the usual stuff like imagining them dressed as bob the builder if you feel too serious and nervous. dont feel like i can be much help because the teams vary so much, apart from hopefully make you smile and wish you all the very best, but im sure you wont need it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)