Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios and qualifications

Hi everybody..some advice needed.

I work in a small committee run Pre school with children from 2-4 years. There is a day when there will be 2 staff working. Are they allowed to have a level 3 and an unqualified committee member working? Or does there need to be a level 2 and 3?

Thank you in advance 

Edited by Emma Bailey_902595195

I'm in a committee setting.  As committee members are not usually employees I'm not sure they can be used in ratios.  I would ask the Early Years Alliance for advice and clarification.   I realise that there have been relaxations due to Covid-19 but would definitely check the latest legal requirements with a professional body.

On 26/11/2020 at 23:20, Emma Bailey_902595195 said:

Hi everybody..some advice needed.

I work in a small committee run Pre school with children from 2-4 years. There is a day when there will be 2 staff working. Are they allowed to have a level 3 and an unqualified committee member working? Or does there need to be a level 2 and 3?

Thank you in advance 

You may have a volunteer. They do not need to be qualified but must be DBS checked (enhanced) and should not be allowed to be left unsupervised at any time. Be careful using a committee member as the rules are unclear about this. If they are a parent volunteer that appears to be ok ...if you start to pay them for their time it gets complicated (even if paid in free sessions or through benefits...eg free stuff!)

Have I misunderstood this i now wonder?

1. 3.34.  For children aged three and over at any time in registered early years provision when a person with Qualified Teacher Status, Early Years Professional Status, Early Years Teacher Status or another suitable level 6 qualification is not working directly with the children:

• there must be at least one member of staff for every eight children

• at least one member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification

• at least half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification

3 hours ago, Gezabel said:

Have I misunderstood this i now wonder?

1. 3.34.  For children aged three and over at any time in registered early years provision when a person with Qualified Teacher Status, Early Years Professional Status, Early Years Teacher Status or another suitable level 6 qualification is not working directly with the children:

• there must be at least one member of staff for every eight children

• at least one member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification

• at least half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification

so for three staff at least one at level 3 one at level 2/3 and one unqualified or above.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)