Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Class September 2020

Bettybud

I'm currently working in a Reception bubble of 11 children with three staff. We have children at tables, 2 metres apart with all their resources on the tables. We are doing half an hour of Google Classroom learning (which all the other children are invited to do from home), followed by half an hour outside in a marked zone with their own bike, box of resources and a space hopper. We have tried really hard to keep the children apart and they have responded brilliantly, taking on board social distancing and handwashing. We follow this routine throughout the day with Literacy, Maths and a topic focus followed by a story at the end. My head has asked me to think about September with the new intake. We would usually have continuous provision, defined zones such as Creative, Workshop, Investigation etc and just a small table for adult led activities individually or in small groups at the start of the year. I really don't know what to do and how to forward plan for welcoming the new intake. I was wondering if conversations have been had in other schools and what colleagues are thinking will be the best approach for the Reception class in September. Are you abandoning social distancing and reverting back or still trying to keep children apart?  Any ideas welcome. 

• Like 1

Hello, sorry I dont know what advice to give- I'm in a preschool and we have 13 children in each day at present. However we have split them into 3 bubbles (should only be 2 really but we thought we had more) and we dont make them socially distance from each other in their bubbles or from the staff that are in it, at 3/4 years old they're just too young. I'm not sure how you would manage with a whole class of 30 in to keep them apart. If we are still having to work in bubbles in Sept (and I sincerely hope we aren't!) then we will have to reduce our numbers and probably staff. We are now just waiting for guidance which will hopefully give us some idea of what we can do.

Edited by lynned55
  • Like 1

Without knowing exactly what the 'rules' will be in September, planning for then is going to be a real challenge! If, as expected, the bubbles are increased to 30 children, then you should be able to plan as normal, but just need to consider the resources that are being used and how you are going to be able to clean them each day. 

The big thing though is to consider what the needs of the children starting is going to be. If they're going to need more communication focus, then providing the opportunities to chat and talk about things will be so important.  

• Like 1

This post makes me so sad. Why do headteachers not read the guidelines for EY this sort of social.distancing has not been asked for or recommended for reception classes. 

As for September I agree with Ben it is becoming more clear that the bubble will be the class as a whole. I suspect assemblies will not be recommended or any sort of social gathering. . I am hoping Xmas celebrations will be able to go ahead. 

As for planning for september your children will be coming in having spent 6 months out of a setting in the most part. I suspect lots of setting routines and sorting out social issues...maybe even toilet training!! The children may arrive back at VERY diverse levels. I know some of our children have been doing their siblings school.work. Dont assume they are all going to be behind😅

• Like 3