Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting Points

Starting Points:      Hi I'm relatively new to Tapestry and was wondering how I would input a new child's 'starting points'    I've added a new observation 'Starting Points onto the child's journal but I'm unsure if I need to put 'secure' meaning that I have observed them doing the activity or 'no refinement'  If someone out there could please help with this that would be great.   Thanks in advance!

Hi Lisa....I can't help you with your question I'm afraid as we are an old fashioned paper based setting however I just wanted to say welcome 🙂  I know there are others who will be happy to help

• Like 1

On 04/06/2020 at 11:16, Lisa_Hill said:

Starting Points:      Hi I'm relatively new to Tapestry and was wondering how I would input a new child's 'starting points'    I've added a new observation 'Starting Points onto the child's journal but I'm unsure if I need to put 'secure' meaning that I have observed them doing the activity or 'no refinement'  If someone out there could please help with this that would be great.   Thanks in advance!

The joy of tapestry is that you run it the way you want to! If you feel the child has achieved a certain point and can do it without help or assistance then i would class that as secure, You don't need to put refinements in if you don't want to...we do because i think it shows progression. I only do no refinement for group obs where there is a diference between child a and child b's involvement or achievement level. You'll find the way that works best for your setting 

Welcome!

• Like 2

Hi and welcome along!

To record your starting points on Tapestry, you could look at using Baselines. This tutorial will talk you through setting these up: Baseline assessments (EYFS) (and EYFS Snapshots - Baseline assessments for after)

I never used refinements when I made observations as I was then inputting my data onto a school system that didn't allow for them - it was just age bands, so it didn't make sense to me. 

• Like 2

what a lovely welcome!

Thank you so much for your replies.

The 'No refinements' for group observations and different age groups makes perfect sense and answered another dilemma for me.

sorry for the late reply.

Kind Regards

Lisa

• Like 2