Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

3 year places

SCLH

Hi everyone.

So an issue we have noticed over the last couple of years is a handful of parents saying their children will be staying with us until starting school and then they either inform us a week before term is due to start that they are now going to school nursery or they simply don't turn up and we find out they have gone to school nursery without notice. We are finding this unfair as we turn children away due to having such a big waiting list and then the first day of term comes and you find you have places you didn't expect to have!

Does anyone else have this issue and any tips around this? We are looking into having an application form for the 3-year places to see if that keeps things a bit more formal but I'm guessing parents will complete this and still go to school nurseries without notice if they feel like doing!

While  I can't say I practiced what I am about to say, but I feel if you really want to tackle this, you at least need to start charging a non returnable deposit if a child does not attend - check out your terms and conditions of LA funding to see if you are allowed to do this.

Seems parents will always hedge their bets as far as a place at nurseries are concerned.    Keep in touch with your parents on the list.  Invite them in for play dates well before a child is due to start, build a relationship with them so that they at least feel guilty at leaving you in the lurch by not informing you earlier!

Edited by Panders

we get parents to sign a contract that states they will give 6 weeks term time notice ...or they will be charged at our full rate for that 6 weeks . It seems to sort out some of the issues and calling it a contract helps. We say we send it to a solicitor if they don't comply (which we have had to do once!)

1 hour ago, SCLH said:

Thanks @Panders, we do have non refundable deposit for new starters but you would assume children who currently attend shouldn't need to pay a deposit to secure a place for the next term but think we are getting to this stage! 

Oh I see, these are children already at your nursery and are going off to school  nursery early.  Just re-read your post, sorry, must try harder xD.      Lots of schools may intimate that places can't be kept or they only have one intake per year :(    I think Finleysmaid's idea would be very workable in your situation.

Edited by Panders