Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Funding

Smiles

I know there is lots of funding already but I am unable to find what I am looking for - know it has been discussed before somewhere. We have a funded child with SEN who attends our setting for four days a week - his family keyworker visits him in the home the other day. We claim for the four days but Mum has to pay the extra for the two days we run for four hours.

I recently read in the new Nursery Funding COP that if a child is unable to access all its funding you can still claim for all the funding. His family keyworker says we can just do it anyway as the four hours session can just count as two sessions - I thought that there had to be a break in between?

Sue

We have recently applied for, and got, funding for a child (1 year old) with complex special needs. This funding pays for 5 hours a day one-to-one work, at £6.00 an hour (I should add, this is the maximum - child is functioning at 4 month old levels). Might you be able to apply for this for your child? I will try to find the contact, but if it's local I'm not sure it'll be much help! However I would have thought this kind of funding would be available nationally - probably through your Early Years team?

Sue

Thanks Sue,

We do receive funding for the child to employ a person to work one to one with the child who has Autism for his 2.5 hours sesssion and all staff look after him for the extra 1.5 hours on the days he stays for lthe lunch sesssions. But Mum is finding it really hard to pay for the extra lunch sessions as she is a single

Opps sorry - my 15 year old was pestering me and my finger slippe.

She is a single Mum and finding it difficult tp pay for the extra lunch session. I would let him stay free but numbers for the lunch session are low and we have to have an extra staff member if he stays.

Annexe B of the COP (10)

States

It may not be approrpriate for some children with special educational nneds to receive their full early years entitlement. In these cases, the provoder, in copperation with the childs parents or guardians, should seek advice from the local authority maiantaining the statement about the amount of provison that would best meet the child needs. As long as the provider is acting in accordance with this advice they should be allowed to claim funding for the full minimum entitlement.

Am I misreading this?

Sue

in our area if a child with SEN is funded and does not claim the full entiltement (5x2.5 sessions ) we are able to ask for the unclaimed sessions to be paid to help ofset the cost of the addtional childcare needed......

eg child attends 3 sessions of 2.5 hrs each per week with the parents consent we can apply for the other 2 sessions payment.

we apply to the finance manager of the Childrens Services dept. (used to be early years ) for consideration to recieve the funding. would suggest you contact the local funding or finance manager for advice you only claim for 4 days you may be able to recieve the fifth day funding to help with some of the costs.

Inge

Smiles -

I don't think you are misreading this, and Inge's post would also suggest your interpretation. In our area there is an officer specifically for the 'financial' side of NEG, who I would consult in this kind of scenario, where they may be other needs than simply the provision of standard 5x2.5 hours grant. Any help?

Sue

Whoops, just looked at Inge's again - she's already said that!! Well, must be so, then!!