Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease

We have had quite a big outbreak of Hand, Foot and Mouth, starting in our baby room but now in all three rooms.  Our guidance says we shouldn't exclude so we haven't been.  Some children have been kept off by parents because they're unwell but quite a few are attending.  We're following hygiene procedures as you would expect but I'm worried about how many children are catching it.  Does anyone exclude for HFM?  What's your experience of an outbreak?

Thank you in advance.

yes i do exclude. Children are normally quite unwell with a high temperature. Any child needing temperatutre control medicine is too ill to be at pre-school . I treat it like cpox so exclude until the spots are drying out . It's a nasty little bug and spreads through fluids (i think) so coughing sneezing etc . If babies are putting fingers in mouths and then putting these on toys the infection will spread rapidly.  There are lots of things on the list that say don't exclude but i think you have to make your own rules and if this is spreading you may need to take action.

Staff can also catch it!!

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)