Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baby massage

L00pyLoo

Hi folks, I’m just wanting to share a worrying situation and wondering how often this happens. 
I am IAIM trained in infant massage and use the IAIM products for classes. A baby has had a reaction to the organic sunflower used in the session. The reaction was really quick, red and hot legs and feet and a very distressed baby and mother. 
The supplier has been contacted and a COSH listing requested, a new container of oil has been purchased and all other bottles have been destroyed. The original oil was in date, stored correctly and had been opened around 3 months ago, many babies have had oil decanted from this container and no one has had an reaction.

I am pleased to say baby and mum are returning this week to the session, baby has been checked out by the doctor immediately after the reaction occurred, mum tells me the doctor checked out the contents listed on the bottle and the suppliers web site with ingredients and information about oils and can not see anything that is a linked to a trigger for such a reaction. 

I am very interested to hear if this has happened to others. 

We had a child last year who was intolerant to sunflower products (as well as quite a few other things) not at all common but can happen. It's a pretty safe carrier for things and i doubt you will find another child who ever reacts like this! Horrid experience though sorry you had to go through that but glad she's returning  that's always a good sign!

I suppose tha only thing you could do is a patch test system to check..get the manufacturer to provide small packets to send out the week before????

12 hours ago, louby loo said:

This is really strange.

Today we had a child come in and her parent told us she had a contact allergic reaction Tuesday whilst making a bird feeder. The child has no nut allergy so mum was trying to think what it could be.

when you say bird feeder are you talking about a wooden one or a food one???? 

4 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Nut allergy??

even if it doesn't list nuts it will ahve been made in a nut zone

That was our first thought- but the child is fine with all kinds on nut/legumes. I've screenshot this thread for her, and she's now  going to look more fully into sunflower products now.

I’m very pleased to say mum and baby returned to class and all is well. I am surprised about the sunflower reactions however we learn things everyday. The important thing is baby is well, retuned to class with positive mind set and enjoyed the session with no oil in sight! 

• Like 1