Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning

Hi all. 

Hoping to get some ideas or suggestions on implementing and, or updating our planning system to fulfill the Ofsteds new framework. 

Does anyone have any ideas they would be happy to share? 

So far I have created a document that has all the celebrations on for the year, for example... storytelling week, Chinese new year, turtle day, giraffe day.. etc.. with also seasons included. 

I have then looked at doing a weekly planning sheet across the 7 areas of the curriculum to meet next steps.. 

I would be very grateful for any ideas or suggestions to improve. 

Thanks so much 

Think planning for certain days/celebrations is a great start. Having a few links and activities based around them so that the children get a deeper understanding of what they're doing might be useful. 

Have you seen Helen's review of 100 Ofsted reports under the framework? Part 2 is all about the curriculum and might be worth a read if you're interested in what they may be looking for. 

Thank you for your responses.

BenC... I am aiming that the weekly planning will incorporate links and activities based around the calendar events and seasons. But also availability and flexibility to follow children's interests too. 

I'm just cautious that I'm missing something. My weekly planning sheet is just for across the week, not designated to specific days as such. Other than spesfic days in the calendar like.. giraffe day for example if that makes sense. 

Also looking at amending the environment to fulfill and meet the planning also. Have designated areas just like a reading corner, have a maths corner etc... any thought on this?

May have to try it out and then see how it works in practice and amend accordingly if needed. 

I look forward to your thoughts, and any advice you may have! 

our room is set out in areas such as book area, home corner, maths, mark making etc although mark making and maths are everywhere in the room. what we put out is dependent on childrens next steps so we can work on these and support/extend on these when children access them. We also work from the childrens interests and try to incorporate next steps in these too when we can. Hope that makes sense?

Don't know if that is right as it is a new style for us since september - are we going in the right direction?

We would talk about certain celebrations / festivals and anything we feel relevant such as science week which the children love (although we do do science all the time lol)

from the responses i have had from settings ofsted are not really interested in your planning they are much more interested in your intent (what you are trying to get across to the children ...your teaching ) how you are doing that (your implementation) and what that has taught the children (impact) so rather than thinking about planning around thematic days i think i would be rather thinking about what your cohort needs to learn (next steps and cultural capital)and how you are going to teach that. I think its fine to have areas in the classroom as it means you have a good range of skills out but i do sometimes think that in my setting this can restrict play , we don't seem to have a lot of transfer of items from one area to the other (like using small world in construction for instance) except of course my 2 year olds who just transport everything and dump it elsewhere!:D

• Like 3

Hi Blondie, Thank you for your response. it certainly does make sense. I have conducted and introduced consultations with parents/carers on a termly basis with key workers to ensure that parents/carers views are also incorporated within the planning system. That of being, child's strengths, interests and any areas they feel they may need support in. this then demonstrates working with parents/carers (wider that we already do of course), 

Finleymaid, Thank you for your response. Yes defo, however, i feel that planning must be incorporated into those goals to demonstrate and to enable settings to ensure they are doing just that. As in, if there is a weekly plan, I have stated.. ' what do we want the children to learn?' EYFS goal.... then How do we intend to do this? ... by doing X Y and Z... etc etc...

I have also formed a new adult led learning opportunity sheet that includes the impact of the teaching and the implementation as well as a reflection box too to enable practitioner to reflect on the activity and to also see if it needs to be repeated or next steps etc...

I was planning on incorporating the whole lot really, ambitious right?! but.... If its storytelling week, we would invite parents, carers, grandparents in and the local vicar to share a story with the children etc...

We have a visit from the fire service, police and first response as well each academic year. We visit a local farm in spring time. We have just secured the use of a village hall woodland area to do 'forest school like activities. I also sometimes bring my dog in to setting so I am going to look at taking the children out to walk her around the nearest field.. etc. changing the imaginative/role play area into different areas such as post office (we have at the moment) home corner, hairdressers, Chinese restaurant (for Chinese new year) etc...  Is that meeting the cultural capital outcome do you think? 

Ah the transporters! We have a few 2 year olds in our setting that loves to transfer, post and carry around! 

Thank you !

18 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

from the responses i have had from settings ofsted are not really interested in your planning they are much more interested in your intent (what you are trying to get across to the children ...your teaching ) how you are doing that (your implementation) and what that has taught the children (impact) so rather than thinking about planning around thematic days i think i would be rather thinking about what your cohort needs to learn (next steps and cultural capital)and how you are going to teach that. I think its fine to have areas in the classroom as it means you have a good range of skills out but i do sometimes think that in my setting this can restrict play , we don't seem to have a lot of transfer of items from one area to the other (like using small world in construction for instance) except of course my 2 year olds who just transport everything and dump it elsewhere!:D

our areas are not really defined as such and as always each area really covers all other areas if that makes sense. 

I know what you mean re the two year olds though hahaha

On 11/12/2019 at 21:56, finleysmaid said:

We had Ofsted in just over a week ago and I would agree with this, had a quick look at our planning...much more talking about what and why we are are doing things, during learning walk and tracking individual children and said that she could see we were implementing our plans.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)