Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

30 hours help!

Can any of you tell me how you are managing your 30 hour spaces (if you offer them)...we are struggling a bit as we don't hold spaces but are now being forced in to this because people are booking 3 unfunded sessions to start then wanting to up to 10 funded sessions when their 30 hours kicks in....esentially we are then holding those 7 session for a term...or even 2 terms

Anyone got any wise words (other than don't do 30 hours!!)

It's a nightmare isn't it - we haven't found an easy solution 

We ask parents to 'indicate' a term in advance what they are likely to want when they get their funding and then try and work the ratios with toddler group staff to move up to the preschool room when the time comes (so I can effectively 'hold' 4 spaces without a cost loss as the ratio will go with that member of staff from 4 to 8). If I also fill the toddler room spaces (when those '4' move up to preschool) I'll appoint another member of staff because the cost is offset (4 children = 1 member of staff). We have a sessions booking sheet that looks to the end of the year and we work hard to keep on top of it all. We used to find that our babies started 'full' and 'tailed off over the year and the preschool went the other way, toddlers stayed pretty consistent all year round. We're now finding that babies and toddlers are almost full from January and Preschool is full from Easter - we're constantly juggling. It helped to have staff that worked across two groups babies>toddlers or toddlers>preschool as we were able to switch them about without affecting the quality of the care and it really helped with transitions too. Oh, and apprentices as emergency 'hands' too!

8 hours ago, Rebecca said:

It's a nightmare isn't it - we haven't found an easy solution 

We ask parents to 'indicate' a term in advance what they are likely to want when they get their funding and then try and work the ratios with toddler group staff to move up to the preschool room when the time comes (so I can effectively 'hold' 4 spaces without a cost loss as the ratio will go with that member of staff from 4 to 8). If I also fill the toddler room spaces (when those '4' move up to preschool) I'll appoint another member of staff because the cost is offset (4 children = 1 member of staff). We have a sessions booking sheet that looks to the end of the year and we work hard to keep on top of it all. We used to find that our babies started 'full' and 'tailed off over the year and the preschool went the other way, toddlers stayed pretty consistent all year round. We're now finding that babies and toddlers are almost full from January and Preschool is full from Easter - we're constantly juggling. It helped to have staff that worked across two groups babies>toddlers or toddlers>preschool as we were able to switch them about without affecting the quality of the care and it really helped with transitions too. Oh, and apprentices as emergency 'hands' too!

unfortunately i can't be that flexible...but thank you for the tought!!! we are a one room 30 max per session setting with currently 4 staff on the floor (used to have 5 but can no  longer afford it) ...do you think the government have ANY idea how much of an issue this is for settings???

15 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

unfortunately i can't be that flexible...but thank you for the tought!!! we are a one room 30 max per session setting with currently 4 staff on the floor (used to have 5 but can no  longer afford it) ...do you think the government have ANY idea how much of an issue this is for settings???

Nope - absolutely no idea at all!

• Sad 1