Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Going Green

Hi

I am trying to change our nursery to be more environmentally friendly.

Would like to change  purchases such as wipes, tissues and toilet rolls etc to be more environmentally friendly. However these products cost more and in the current financial climate this is a challenge.

Has anyone made the change and are there any suppliers or products you can recommend?

Thanks

Sally

HI, just thought I would mention that we now recycle all our crisp packets ( we have packed lunches) as our local council have bins in the town hall and also all our felt tip pens at a local school who have the Crayola scheme drop off point, we also make sure we wash out all yoghurt and jelly pots. I would love to replace wet wipes and other stuff but quite frankly, they go into the medical waste and I doubt there is a viable financial alternative, it took us ages to get others on board with all the recycling we do already x  I look forward to seeing any responses you get.

our parents donate some items (like wipes) we now ask if possible that these are recyclable /biodegradable...bit cheeky but if you're only donating a pack a half term not too bad!  unfortunately used tissues are not recyclable BUT i suspect they could go in the compost??!! we have a compost bin which the children are  using well (small sealed box on the table) we have recycling bins (our borough is good for this..even recycles tin foil/textiles and small electrical items now!!)

We accept donations of toys...keep what we need and charity shop or recycle the rest. We use recycled materials (cable drums/gutters /planks etc etc)  we avoid plastics and ask for parents not to supply drinks for lunch. We have recently sent out another leaflet to help parents make good choices for lunch boxes. We have a parent who donates paper ..unused from a local school!!!! We have a tassimo machine for the staff which is driving me a bit mad as it's tricky to recycle the pods...we are contemplating changing this at xmas. 

My biggest issue is trying to get our cleaners to follow any sort of recycling system!! the children are fab at it! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)