Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Linking Birth To 3 With The Foundation Stage

Hello there. I am currently writing a series of articles for this site about how the four Birth to Three matters Aspects (A Strong Child, A Skillful Communicator etc), and the learning goals at the Foundation Stage link together on a practical level in early years settings where there are children in both age ranges. What I would like to do is to get some examples together on how practitioners plan activities/organise the learning environment/deal with transitions through the age ranges with key workers/anything else you would like to tell me about that highlight the links between the two for the workers on the ground and the children, rather than just words in documents! These can be problems as well as successes! I will tackle one aspect per article, and I would really appreciate some great examples! Thanks. :)

Hi Jules!

And, I guess, welcome!!!

I suppose you've had a look at the BTTM forum? I am in a Day Nursery pre-school, where our children range from 2.6 up, so we need to have regard to both FS and BTTM. I don't have enough time right now, but would be more than happy to talk about how we handle this aspect of provision. I will be available Wed, Thur and Fri evenings this week - we could try in Chat or you can see my MSN address on my profile, if you want to make me a contact. Or I could just follow your lead here - suit yourself!

Sue

Sounds fantastic Jules, just what we are all waiting for, I have been on many courses and am using it in our session, but any tips would be great

I cannt wait to read your articles Jules and as you will see from the B23 forum Im not the only one stuggling to get my head around linking the two in planning.

Before B23 we tended to plan around the FS and then differentiate the activities the make them accessible to the younger children even though 2/3rds of the group where under 3. This was working for us but now the Teacher mentor asks "how are you implenting B23?" and I start thinking "errrrr.....?"

I have tried to incorperate the two in planning but we still end up leaning towards FS stepping stones when planning activities, its a hard habit to break! so now our written planning focuses on FS and our room layout and activity areas demonstrate B23. I dont think we have got it right yet but we are still working on ideas.......

so im interested to read more when you write your articles hopefully it will shed some light on this subject

Hi Jules and welcome to the forum!!

With my work with BT3 children, I have been using a book called 'Providing for Two Year Olds in Mixed Aged Settings' which looks at BT3 and the FS. I don't have the book with me at the moment as my manager has got hold of it, but I have the details of where to get one, as I want to get one for myself!!

It talks a great deal about BT3 planning and there is some detail about how 'Possible Lines of Direction' used in BT3 link into planning for the FS.

The book is available from Pre-School Learning Alliance. If you want details of phone numbers etc, then I'll be happy to give them although you probably already have bits with the details on.

I would definately give it a look!

Clare

Hi Deb, I'm just getting ready for another day at work, so when I get home this afternoon, I'll put them all on and you can have them!!

Clare

Hi Deb, I'm just getting ready for another day at work, so when I get home this afternoon, I'll put them all on and you can have them!!

Clare

51867[/snapback]

Hi Loopylou,

I may be wrong but your links sheet looks the same as the Featherstones poster that Sue R has put a link to, please be careful of copyright. :oxD

Peggy

Hi Jules, I don't know what your timescale is but if it's not too late in the holidays I shall send you, share some of my reflective / evaluations of our daily practice- we have children aged from 2 yrs to 4 yrs mainly a mixed group. I find it really difficult to actually plan activities with specific outcomes for the B23 because their individual agenda's rarely fit in with an adults, flitting as they do from one activity to another. We do discuss ideas as a team which are led by the child, mainly from informal observations and we then plan resources to meet interests. however, as our environment is self selection most all resources are out all the time :o

Also it is difficult to plan more than a day ahead because of the attendence patterns of our children. Dylan may be thoroughly engrossed in water play on a Monday but by his next session ( wednesday) we ensure water play is out again but he doesn't go near it and decides he wants to play with the train track. different peers attend different days, and that can influence their play ( much more than adults can) so to write a plan in advance is near on impossible. We are however, as a staff team, very adapt at following children leads, and playing spontaneously where their interest take them FOR THE MOMENT. We write a lot of "post" session comments rether than "pre" session plans.

I still tend to work from the child and not try to make a child fit the components- at the end of the day they are still developing :D and I translate their development into B23 and FSC jargon.

Peggy

Thanks for that Peggy!

The details of the book I used to create that sheet and the ones attached are:

'Making Their Day - Providing for Two Year Olds in Mixed Age Settings'

ISBN: 1 873743 42 4

Copyright Pre-School Learning Alliance 2005

Pre-School Learning Alliance

69 Kings Cross Road

London

WC 1X 9LL

I hope this means no-one will get into trouble now :o

Clare

A_Skilful_Communicator_Links_to_CLL.doc

A_Healthy_Child_Links_to_Foundation_Stage.doc

A_Competent_Learner_Links_to_Foundation_Stage.doc

Hi Sue - thanks for the warm welcome. I 'm visiting a nursery next week to observe the mixed age ranges in action and I 've a few questions ready to ask them...so I thought I'd put them to you as well and you can take it from there depending on how much time you have! I'd love to commit to a time in Chat but have a small baby and may miss you!!

Are the children divided up into different rooms/areas according to age?

If so is there a time when everyone comes together?

And if so how do you manage the transition to a new Keyworker?

How does the crossover of Bto3 and FS affect your planning? (judging by replies to my first post this is a big question)

Any anecdotal examples of under 3s and rising 5s mixing in an activity?

Thanks, Jules

Hi Clare and thanks - I do have that book and you're right it is very useful! What I would love is any anecdotal evidence of this overlap between the BT3 and FS in action, say in your planning or just an observation of the children interatcing at an activity if you can think of any! No rush. :)

Hi Jules and welcome to the forum!!

With my work with BT3 children, I have been using a book called 'Providing for Two Year Olds in Mixed Aged Settings' which looks at BT3 and the FS. I don't have the book with me at the moment as my manager has got hold of it, but I have the details of where to get one, as I want to get one for myself!!

It talks a great deal about BT3 planning and there is some detail about how 'Possible Lines of Direction' used in BT3 link into planning for the FS.

The book is available from Pre-School Learning Alliance. If you want details of phone numbers etc, then I'll be happy to give them although you probably already have bits with the details on.

I would definately give it a look!

Clare

51860[/snapback]

Thanks so much for the offer of help Peggy. And for the description of your approach to the mixed age range. I will try and address planning in the articles - everyone seems to want to know about it! The holidays would be fine for some more thoughts - time wise by the end of next week would be best, but only if you have time! :)

Hi Jules.

We do separate planning for the under 3s and the 3-5s, although it is all tied into the same theme. The only difference is, is that where the older children's planning is centred more around learning through 'activities', the under 3s is centred more around routines and general activities such as circle time etc.

Also, I'm sorry if I seem a bit dim tonight (been a hectic few days!) but would you mind explaining to me about the anecdotal evidence? Maybe an example would jog my weary head!:o

Clare

Wow! What a great welcome . Thanks everyone. And thanks for all the v useful replies. I wanted to say that if there is anything you want to know about the BT3 and FS mix, then please ask and I will try and address it or at least make it a talking point in the articles - eg planning seems to be something to get my teeth into! Also see my reply to Sue R - there are a few questions some of you might be able to respond to. I've never used a forum before, so excuse any poor forum etiquette and please put me straight! Thanks again, Jules :):)

Hi Clare, I think what I mean is along the lines of Tom (aged 2) and Jo (aged 4) were playing in the sand and such and such happened to show a link between say A Strong Child and personal, social and emotional development at FS...just any little examples of the ages ranges mxing that you can think of.

Thanks again, Jules

Thanks for that Jules. Will give it some thought and get back to you, as I'm sure there are examples I can give you!

Clare

• 4 weeks later...

Just to say I will be starting to work on these articles this week. Any advice/ideas/things you want to see in them let me know asap. If I miss out in the first one I'll be sure to try and include them in the others! And thanks for all the enthusiasm!

Jules :D

• 2 months later...

HI, MY NAME IS WENDY AND I AM DOING A DPP COURSE LEVEL 3 AT THE MOMENT AND I AM A DEPUTY SUPERVISOR OF A PRE SCHOOL PLAYGROUP AND I AM LOVING THE JOB AND COURSE, I REALLY ENJOYED YOUR ARTICLES ON BTTM AND LINKING IT IN WITH FS. AT THE MOMENT I AM DOING CURRICULUM PLANNING ON MY COURSE AND I AM DOING THE TOPIC FOOD AS THIS IS WHAT WE ARE DOING IN OUR SETTING CAN ANY ONE HELP ME WITH THIS TOPIC IN PLANNING FS AND BTTM?

FANTASTIC SIGHT

WENDY

HI CLARE,

THANX FOR THE WELCOME AND THANX FOR THE HELP I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU.

WENDY

OH AND HI TO EVERY ONE ELSE......!!!!!!!!******* :D

Hello Wendy, I did the DDP many moons ago, and worked first as a deputy then as playleader of a playgroup, fantastic days :D:D I'd like to think I could help but brain leekage may prevent that, but always ask, there's always someone to help on the site. :D:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)