Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Trio ratio

Hi I have just taken over as an Operational Manager of a setting. At the moment the committee want us to organise a trip for the children. I would like to ask how other settings have organised this with ratios. The committee say that as we are in ratio for 30 children in the setting we will also be ok for this trip. I am concerned however as we have risk assessed the area and all the staff are not comfortable with more than three  children each to look after at the park. Do I insist if this goes ahead that parents must come too?

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated 

Ratios for trips are up to you to ensure the children are safe. You will need to look at the current cohort and make a decision based on that. What age/ability/sen/eal etc??? you may need to 1-1 some children and others may be able to be supervised in larger groups. It also depends on how far you are going and how you are getting there. a simple trip to the park may be possible with a lower ratio of adults if it does not involve roads etc

Trips to our local park can be done 1-4 0r even 1-6 depending on pupils (don't cross roads and area is enclosed...also something we do often so experienced before)

Trips to the river are never done with more than 1-4 (there's a wall between us and the water!!)

Trips to the shops normally 1-2 !!! cos they can't keep their hands off the sweets:D

Also the committee are not the ones taking the responsibility and you are in charge of your staff....sounds like this might be a little bit of a battle of leadership...you'll need to make a strong and clear decision!

I always feel more comfortable with the correct inside ratio (1:3, 1:4, 1;8) +1 member of staff per 'group' for any children who are walking. So, if my babies are all in triple buggies and are not going to be walking about I'm happy to have them in their 1:3 ratio but when it's my toddlers I really want them 1:2 (one in each hand!). 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)