Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dissertation help

HI

I have started my dissertation and the aim of the research is to explore if a role play den outdoors will enhance boys mark making skills'

I have 'mark making matters' document, but is there any other literature /journals I can use ?

Any help with the best way to gather data for this as I want to observe the children before and after I implement the change ? 

ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS TOPIC WOULD BE FANTASTIC

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

I did something very similar to this.  Firstly I set up the area I wanted to use to encourage mark making and more or less let it take its course, observing who used it for a week or so, how often they stayed there, what they did, what gender/age they were and what implements they were choosing to use.  Then I gave a couple of boys turns with the digital camera, firstly to take pictures of any writing they could see outside - then we looked at the pictures with a group to see if they could guess where the writing was.  Then the same two boys took the camera outside to find any marks on the ground and walls that someone (me, before the session) had made, and take pictures.  We printed the pictures and the children took them outside to try to find them.  Next the two boys were taken to the mark making area to get implements to make their own marks and they challenged other children to find them (this generally meant leading the others to where they were, but oh well!) some boys drew what they called maps of where to find hidden marks, (generally huge chalk scribbles on the path.)  then I 'sat back' again and observed the mark making area for a week to observe the changes, and there were a lot!

My reasoning behind just choosing two boys were that they were 'confident leaders' who I knew would cascade their excitement well.  Other children were given the opportunity with the cameras, including the girls, especially when I was doing later studies on different themes.  

Edited by Cait
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)