Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How EYFS progress scores on Tapestry are calculated

Please note that this tutorial is about tracking for the old EYFS. For information about tracking screens for the new EYFS 2021, please click here.

Progress scores on Tapestry are really helpful for tracking how children have progressed between two different periods on your account, taking into account the time that has passed between the periods. 

It is calculated as the difference between a child or group's attainment between two different periods. Therefore, it is really important for you to understand how attainment is calculated on Tapestry. This tutorial will explain this for you. 

To help me explain this I'm going to go to one of the tracking screens you can use to track progress in this way, the Progress Child Picker Screen. To access this, you just need to go to the Tracking tab at the top of the screen (1), then making sure you are on the 'EYFS' section (2), click on the 'Child' button in the 'Progress' box (3).

image.png

Now you are looking at the Progress Child Picker Screen. Here you will need to choose two periods to see the progress between (1) and then a group of children to see this for (2). Please note on this screen only children who have an assessment for an Aspect in each term will show up.

In the chart you will see each child's progress score for each Aspect (3) as well as their overall progress score, which is an average of all their scores (4). 

You can see in this example that Abby has a progress score of 0 for moving and handling in Physical Development (4). This doesn't mean she is making no progress, it means that her attainment scores for these terms are the same, so she is progressing at the same rate that she is ageing. 

2019-03-07_13-55-01.png

As I mentioned earlier in the tutorial, progress scores take into account the time that has passed between the periods you select, so if a child is shown to have minus progress, that doesn't mean necessarily they're going backwards, but rather they aren't progressing at the same rate as they are ageing or that their rate of progress has slowed.

If we take a look at Abby's attainment scores for these two periods I've selected (Autumn Term 1 and Autumn Term 2) and focus on one Aspect, Self Confidence and Self Awareness, you can see in the first term she has an attainment score of 4 and in the second term she has an attainment score of 2. Both of these attainment scores mean she is working above her actual age, but because her score in the Autumn Term 1 is higher than her score in the Autumn Term 2, her progress is actually -2. Meaning her rate of progress has slowed down.

Autumn Term 1

2019-03-07_12-55-03.png

Autumn Term 2

2019-03-07_12-56-22.png

I hope you now have a better understanding of how progress is calculated on Tapestry! If you also want to read about how attainment and thoroughness are calculated you can take a look at the tutorials I've linked below.

How thoroughness scores on Tapestry are calculated

How attainment scores on Tapestry are calculated

Go back to Main Tutorials Page