Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYFS - Comparison Screens

EmilyTapestrySupport

Please note that this tutorial is about tracking for the old EYFS. For information about tracking screens for the new EYFS 2021, please click here.

There are two different comparison screens available on Tapestry for EYFS - the Individual Comparison screen and the Group Comparison screen. I'm going to talk you through both in this tutorial.

You can find both of these screens by going to the 'Tracking' tab at the top of the page (1), then making sure you are on the 'EYFS' section (2) you either need to select the 'Comparison: Individual' or 'Comparison: Group' button in the Dashboard section (3), depending on what you want to see.

image.png

I'm going to start by looking at the Individual Comparison screen. To skip to the section on the Group Comparison screen click here.

Individual Comparison screen

The first thing you will need to do here is to select a term or terms (1) and a child or children (2) to view. You can remove all the terms (3) or children (4) you have selected at any point just by clicking on the relevant button. 

2019-02-11_11-53-49.png

You can use the Individual Comparison screen to look at both attainment (where a child or children are in a term) or progress (how a child is progressing between terms). 

If you are wanting to view attainment, you will need to select just one term, you can then either select one or two children to view the attainment for. In the screenshot below you can see I've selected Autumn Term 2 2018/19 as my term and I've also chosen the children Abby Johnson and Jessica Wright, this will also allow me to compare their attainments. 

2019-02-11_12-37-18.png

On this screen you can see at the top the term (1) and children (2) I've selected to view. In the top right-hand corner of this chart you can see a key (3) with a different colour representing each child. 

Then in the bar chart along the Y axis (4) you can see all the age bands with smaller lines in between each age band representing the refinements. Along the X axis (5) you can see all of the different EYFS aspects. Each bar in the chart shows you where that child was for that term in that particular aspect. These assessments are taken from the Summative Assessments on Tapestry; if you're not sure how these are calculated you can read this tutorial.

Underneath the bar chart you can see exactly what age band and refinement each child were assessed in for that term in each aspect, as well as how many observations contributed towards this score (6). 

If you select either more than two children in one term or more than two terms with two children selected, this changes the format of the chart, as there is more data to try and condense. You can see below how this changes the chart when I select to view another term. The chart now shows me for each child, how many months (on average) away their assessed age is to their actual age for each period. 

2019-02-11_12-50-36.png

If you want to use this screen to look at progress then you will need to just have  one child selected, but you can choose to view their progress with up to 4 terms. I've now removed Jessica from this screen so I'm just looking at Abby and I've also added more terms. 

2019-02-11_12-54-58.png

It is important when selecting multiple terms that you have these in chronological order, so with the oldest term furthest to the left and the most recent term furthest to the right (1). 

On this screen again you can see the child you have selected underneath the terms (2) and a key in the right-hand corner, but this time now each colour represents a different term (3).

The Y axis again shows the age bands and refinements (4) and the X axis shows all of the different aspects of learning (5). As each bar represents where the child was for that aspect in each term, this allows you to see how they are progressing. So, if the bars furthest to the right are higher than the ones to the left, this means the child is making positive progress. Underneath the chart you can see the exact age bands and refinements for each term (6). 

So, that's the Individual Comparison screen, I'll now move on to the Group Comparison screen.

Group Comparison screen

Just to remind you, to access this screen you just need to click on the 'Tracking' tab at the top of the page (1), make sure you are on the EYFS section (2) and then in the 'Dashboard' section click on the 'Comparison: Group' button (3). 

image.png

Exactly like the Individual Comparison screen, here you just need to select a term or terms (1) and a group or groups of children (2). You can remove all the terms (3) or groups (4) at any point using the 'Remove all..' buttons. 

You can also use the Group Comparison screen to view both attainment and progress. With this screen it's important to remember a 2:1 ratio when selecting your term/s and group/s. If you want to view attainment then you will need to select two groups to compare in one term whereas if you want to view progress you will need to select one group and two different terms. 

If you select more than the 2:1 ratio, say two groups and two terms, this will change the way the data is displayed; I'll come on to this. 

2019-02-11_15-16-18.png

Firstly I'm going to use this screen to view attainment, so I've selected one term and two different groups. You can see at the top the term (1) and groups (2) I have selected. Then you can see the chart is split into two sections, one for each group you have selected. In this case you can see I've got a section for boys (3) and then one for girls (4). 

Within each section you can see the average months above actual age, percentage of children at or above their actual age and the number of contributing observations for each groups across each aspect. 

2019-02-11_15-46-21.png

Just to show you what happens if you were to add another term to view, like we saw with the Individual Comparison screen, this also changes the way the data is shown. Now it shows you the average months above actual age for each group in each term. 

2019-02-12_12-05-32.png

To use the Group Comparison screen to see progress for groups of children, you will need to select two terms, remember to do this in chronological order (1) and just one group selected (2). 

Then in the chart you will see the average months above actual age, percentage of children at or above or actual age and the number of contributing observations for this group in both terms for each aspect. Allowing you to compare the group across these terms. 

2019-02-12_12-26-19.png

So, that's how you can use the Individual and Group Comparison screen to view both attainment and progress for children on your account. 

Back to Main Tutorials Page