Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I've Been Accepted!

I'm having a really good week this week! I am so excited that I just have to share it with you all!

Last Friday I got my job, so spent the whole weekend celebrating, as I was advised to do by many of you xD !

My first week has been really good and I've learnt so much! I'm going on loads of management courses in the next few weeks and I'm looking forward to that too.

Then today, as soon as I got home, there was a letter waiting for me. I went and applied at my local college on Wednesday to do the Foundation Degree in Early Years Childcare and Education and today I received my acceptance!! :D

I can't believe that it went through so quickly but I'm not complaining! It doesn't start until October but I'm going out to celebrate again!! There could be trouble :o:D

Clare

I read a few posts on this site about doing the course through the OU and those doing it, appeared to find it more difficult than those going through colleges. Maybe it's a distance learning issue? I don't really know too much about it.

I chose to do it through college because of the hours. It's a part time course over 2 years, studied one evening a week and one saturday a month. This fits in nicely with work as I now work part time (mornings) and also as my daughter is only 2 (so quite demanding!) It means I get to be Clare for a couple of hours every week, rather than Mummy!

The fees work out at £720 per year but if you work for a really kind and generous employer, they could sponsor you to do it (basically pay for it!), otherwise there's student loans and that kind of thing. I haven't looked into the funding for it too much yet, as I only got the letter today but that is going to be my mission for the next few days. I know you have to apply for grants within 4 months of the course starting so I've got plenty of time.

Thanks for the congrats!! :D

Clare

More congratulations!!! And enjoy!!

It's something I've thought about on and off, but as I don't think I'll be working much longer (barring the unexpected :o ), I decided against. Probably a good job, I've been so busy lately!

Sue :D

Well done Loopylou :D

Well, don't ou know, everything comes in three's, new job, degree course, what do you wish for next? Wish hard because it seems like your on the home run!.

Keep us posted about your degree experiences won't you.

Peggy

well done on the new job and all that follows, looks like a busy time.

All fees loans and grants are usually dealt with once you start the course.

i think the cost depends on personal financial situation, just the same as any uni degree course where all household income is taken into consideration, as does amount of grant etc.

The student I am mentor for this year had all fees paid, plus a grant which does not have to be repaid, as she is a single mum. in addition she does not have to pay council tax while on the course as she is classed as a student, and they do not pay council tax!! (Also loan of a laptop computer for the 2 years which is returned at end or bought at a subsidised cost if she wants to)

Dont know how this will change next year with top up fees being introduced and the changes in the fee system, where I believe fees are added to or treated as a loan and you pay them back when earning enough.

As her mentor I got 65.00 for the year, and the setting she works for got 500.00 to help cover costs both via a surestart grant claimed via the uni. They sent the paperwork once the course has started.

remember as any student , you would also be eligable for a student loan, (repayments are made once you earn over 1500.00 per year at the moment and repaid in small amounts direct from your wages) as well as a student bank account with all the extras they get such as free overdrafts and free gifts just to open one.

Colleges are doing the courses usually as a part of a university...our local one is with Bath Spa university and everything goes through them. Each college sets hours in agreement with them, ours does 1 day a week from 1pm to 8pm.

'my student' has really enjoyed her course so far and is very glad she 'went for it', but did say that having a supportive network at work with a chance to develop her skills, attend meetings etc has been very useful, other students without this have not found it so easy.

Inge

You have all been really supportive! Feeling a bit worse for wear, so apologies in advance for any spelling mistakes. Been out celebrating :( !

I'm really, really excited about the whole degree experience. I just know that this job is the one I was meant to do. That might sound a bit naff, but I really feel that early years is the thing for me. I've tried other things and keep coming back to it, so I think that is telling me something!!!!

Your support has been fantastic and I'm looking forward to doing my foundation degree and talking to you all about it.

It's taken almost 20 minutes to type this lot in an understandable (?) way so I hope you can understand me! I think it's about time I went to bed... :o !

Thanks again,

Clare (have been out clebrating... :DxD !)