Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mock Ofsted format

Bell2208

Hi all

My first time posting, so forgive me if i ask something that someone else has already asked :)

I would really like to do a Mock Ofsted with my staff, mainly because most of them have never had Ofsted before and are terrified of the concept.  I want to show them that Ofsted just want to see what they always do, and that its not as scary as they think :/

My questions are:

a) Has anyone done something similiar before and how did it go?

b) Do you have a template or something you could share to give me an idea of where to start?

I know I could use the grade descriptors, and I will, but just looking for a head start on things if anyone has one.

Many thanks

Kim

Good afternoon Kim,

Welcome to FSF and well done on making your first post! :D

Have you had a look at the articles and resources on the forum that are particularly about Ofsted? There are several in the Leadership and Management articles that will talk you through an inspection - Leadership and Management

These are from our resources library and will be helpful, some more can be found too

Please keep in mind that Ofsted really advise against 'Mocksteds' as they view them as being stressful for staff and the guidance for how an inspection should be completed is all listed in the Inspection Handbook (which I have linked you to)

There will be plenty of others along to help you out I'm sure!

Hi Rebecca

Thanks for your reply.  My intention is definitely not to stress my staff, more to make them confident in answering questions that OFSTED may ask, knowing how to talk them through the planning, next steps etc.

I wouldn't be able to grade the day myself as I wouldn't know where to start, but it was more about introducing them to the process of an inspection and how the day might play out etc.

I'll have a look at the paperwork in the resources folder and see if I can find something to tweak! 

1 hour ago, Bell2208 said:

Hi Rebecca

Thanks for your reply.  My intention is definitely not to stress my staff, more to make them confident in answering questions that OFSTED may ask, knowing how to talk them through the planning, next steps etc.

I wouldn't be able to grade the day myself as I wouldn't know where to start, but it was more about introducing them to the process of an inspection and how the day might play out etc.

I'll have a look at the paperwork in the resources folder and see if I can find something to tweak! 

Hello,

Then you will definitely find what you need in the inspection articles - they go through exactly what happens. You would be able to make sensible judgements if you used the grade descriptors in the inspection handbook. :D

• Like 1

One of the key things in my view is to support key people to articulate what they know about their key children.  This can come through day to day practice and through supervision.  Do you get you staff to talk about their children in supervision?  Do you speak to them about that activity they have planned  why they chose it and what they hope children will learn by doing it. Are they familiar with the ofsted definition of teaching and could they talk about this? Do you ever observe your staff so you know their strengths?

Just a few things to get you going to build into day to day practice to build confidence. 

• Like 1

Thanks Rebecca, I'll make a start on that!

15 hours ago, mundia said:

One of the key things in my view is to support key people to articulate what they know about their key children.  This can come through day to day practice and through supervision.  Do you get you staff to talk about their children in supervision?  Do you speak to them about that activity they have planned  why they chose it and what they hope children will learn by doing it. Are they familiar with the ofsted definition of teaching and could they talk about this? Do you ever observe your staff so you know their strengths?

Just a few things to get you going to build into day to day practice to build confidence. 

Mundia, I am also in the process of designing a Management observation sheet which is similiar to a peer observation and will be used to look at staff interactions, ask questions during the activities they are doing etc...it's more a whole room thing than just one on one. Then i plan to use the peer observations to do individual staff.  I like the idea of asking them about their key children during supervisions though.

I just want them to be as confident to talk about what they do when Ofsted are here as they are when they are chatting about their rooms!