Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New to Tapestry

melissa2

As a complete beginner I’m using Tapestry in a Nursery setting. I have started taking photos and adding observations. Wondering if I’m taking too many photos as I’m spending ages adding observations at home in the evening! Should I also be making an assessment each time?

Hi Melissa, it takes a while to figure out how Tapestry works best for you and your setting, a few years on and we don’t actually assess any obs against the eyfs (only CoEL), if you just want to send out photos you could create an ob called ‘My week’ at the start of the week, forward date to the end of the week (that way it stays at the top of the not added list) and add any photos as you go along then add the ob to journal at the end of the week, you could assess all areas/aspects then if you wanted too, we found all the obs being assessed confused progress as sometimes statements in bands that were to high or low for the child’s general stage of development were being ticked and assessing obs attached to more than one child also caused tracking problems as not all chn attached were at the same level. Good luck, you’ll find it gets quicker as you work out how you want to use it :-) 

43 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

if you just want to send out photos you could create an ob called ‘My week’ at the start of the week, forward date to the end of the week (that way it stays at the top of the not added list)

great idea ..when you say forward date how are you doing this ? never tried so I might go and have a fiddle!

Hi Melissa

We used tapestry for about 2 months with no parents access just to have a go with no pressure ...then as mouseketeer says its trying to find out what you want out of the system. It is very versatile and that can be a bit confusing because we all run differently! 

For our setting we do use the assessments and continue to refine the way we are tracking . Not all photos have assessments ...especially my newbies  and I dont' do any group ob assessments because what is true for one child is probably NOT true for all of them!

If you are using new hardware I also think it takes a while to get to know it....click away and work out how it works best.

We told our parents that this was a new system for us and warned them that there might be loads of obs whilst we got our act together. They were happy to have the pictures so it wasn't a problem and we realised that of course for the parents they are always 'AHH' moments!

• Like 1