Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Questions/learning Objectives

Hi

Just interested to know whether you have key questions and learning objectives in all free choice independent learning activities, including the outdoor classroom?

In a word: No! Probably should, though :o I used to be a lot more conscientious about this xD I even started to laminate objectives so that I could re-use them but then I had a spell in a different year group and never regained the momentum! I do try and put objectives out for the activities indoors and I have support sheets up in the role play area with objectives and questions.

I don't. Worrying now that I should...! I do put up things for my permanent provision so that parents/students etc can see that these things 'have a point' and how they can support the children's learning. Here's an example:

numeracy.doc

Crikey, if I did this for the things I change everyday...that's 8 more activities x 4 days (Tuesdays are music and P.E.) ...I'm blubbing at the thought! Please don't anyone say we should do this for everything :o

Edited by Guest

We do similar to everyone else. We display general 'learning opportunitie' for main learning bays. Occasionally I use 'Task Cards' for some activitie, which display key questions and vocab (a well a objective). They are shown to the children then only really used as a promp - and not often!!

I used to worry I should be doing this but now I think it's just a lot of unnecessary work! we spend enough time planning focus / carpet sessions etc. For IN / OUT environments I just put what resources we will use, with an occasional key question. All the recent push on CHILD INITIATED play has made me feel happier about all this!

Guest Miss Molly

We have an A3 'play planner' for independent play activities which occur alongside other adult led activities. The children also have their own copy in their drawer. We have a separate outdoor play planner however this usually mirrors the indoor activities (excpet a few others). On our A3 planners under each picture (about 5 specific activities) we write the 'WALT' - 'We are learning to'. We share with with all adults and the chidlren when we introduce or review the activities. We find this helps the children to focus and also guides supporting adults. For example a 'WALT' may be as simple as 'to remember to write your name on your painting' or 'to share a book with a friend'. They are often more structured e.g. 'to put the words in order' or' 'to make a pattern with three colours'. We don't link these to Stepping stones or goals unless they are also part of main carpet work or adult led activities.

Thanks everyone for your responses, it's just I was at a meeting yesterday, and apparently under the new Ofsted model, they look for key questions, and learning opportunities particularly with the outdoor classroom. I think you become unsure, so it's really nice to hear others say what they do. :)

Have you seen The Little Book of Outdoor play and The Little Book of Outdoors in All Weathers :o seem to think they might supply ideas for creating something that would provide questions for most activity types outdoors. I have been going to dig mine out and make a continuous provision for outdoor to be displayed for students and parent helpers

Have you seen The Little Book of Outdoor play and The Little Book of Outdoors in All Weathers :o seem to think they might supply ideas for creating something that would provide questions for most activity types outdoors. I have been going to dig mine out and make a continuous provision for outdoor to be displayed for students and parent helpers

I don't. Worrying now that I should...! I do put up things for my permanent provision so that parents/students etc can see that these things 'have a point' and how they can support the children's learning. Here's an example:

numeracy.doc

Crikey, if I did this for the things I change everyday...that's 8 more activities x 4 days (Tuesdays are music and P.E.) ...I'm blubbing at the thought! Please don't anyone say we should do  this for everything  :o

50822[/snapback]

This is fab do u have any more for the other areas?

thanks

x

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Moose, these are brilliant! We have got 2 open mornings soon and I've got to do a 'new parents' meeting . The head has set up a power point presentation, oh goodie she introduces me and I have to do the rest :o Perhaps these will distract them !

We use a sign for each area with the headings

* area

* In this area we are:

*we can use:

*you can help us by:

However we found that this is always the job whihc gets forgotten and are the signs are not updated. I like the ones Moose uses much better and so will definately be using these next term/. A huge thank you Moose! :):)

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)