Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phone System

Hi,

I am wanting a main office phone and then I have two other rooms so wanting a phone in each of these rooms too but these are just to accept calls from office i.e. if a parent calls to see how Dotty is then I can put them through to Dotty's room for the staff to give them the run down as currently office staff go and ask then relay message but i think helping to build the key worker relationship with the parent and the value of what is relayed is better coming direct from staff in the room..

Do you have a system like this that's still on market? i have visited a nursery but theirs is obsolete now, from looking at BT their systems seem to be high end for us and blinking expensive! 

I have looked at house phones like a quad system which has one base unit and 3 handheld ones that attach to mains, you can transfer calls to your chosen handset but wondering if this would work in a nursery? if i picked up handset in office would you hear the conversation? i am going back t my younger days when we had house phones and no mobiles and we used to try and listen in to siblings phone calls to their friends lol. 

Help - my technology brain isn't working!

Hmmm, I'm not sure...

We just use a cordless phone which is either in the office if I am in there, or in one of the rooms.  Whoever answers will go and find the appropriate person.  When I'm really snowed under, my heart sinks when I hear the phrase "I'll just pass you over to my manager and she'll be able to help you." 9_9 :D

• Haha 1

Hi.

The simplest and cheapest option is the cordless phone you have already considered. You can buy a "Dect" base station with multiple handsets. Dect phones have a good range, so providing you are not too far away from the base station, will work ok. You will only be able to accept one call at a time and, yes, normally, if someone is on the phone and someone else picks up another handset, you will be able to hear (and join in) the conversation, which may be a positive or a negative in your situation.

Moving up, you could look at a small telephone system. There are many options, but the simplest way to implement may be a cloud based solution. Essentially, you get a third party company to host your phone system and you just have the telephone handsets on your premises. You access the phone system via the internet and your telephone handsets would need a wired or wireless connection to the internet. You would get a fully functional telephone system, but it is reliant on a good internet connection and would be affected by other internet traffic (e.g. uploading large files or downloading music, etc.). The cost would probably be something like £30 per month plus £100 each for phones (don't hold me to this, just trying to give you an idea of cost).

You could also look at a telephone system on-site, but the cost is increasing and so is the requirement for in-house skills to administer and support.

The cordless phone option is the easiest, most cost effective solution and will probably do all you need, unless multiple calls and privacy are insurmountable issues.

I hope this helps and please let me know if I can help further.

Tim :-)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 20/08/2018 at 11:25, Tim said:

Hi.

The simplest and cheapest option is the cordless phone you have already considered. You can buy a "Dect" base station with multiple handsets. Dect phones have a good range, so providing you are not too far away from the base station, will work ok. You will only be able to accept one call at a time and, yes, normally, if someone is on the phone and someone else picks up another handset, you will be able to hear (and join in) the conversation, which may be a positive or a negative in your situation.

Moving up, you could look at a small telephone system. There are many options, but the simplest way to implement may be a cloud based solution. Essentially, you get a third party company to host your phone system and you just have the telephone handsets on your premises. You access the phone system via the internet and your telephone handsets would need a wired or wireless connection to the internet. You would get a fully functional telephone system, but it is reliant on a good internet connection and would be affected by other internet traffic (e.g. uploading large files or downloading music, etc.). The cost would probably be something like £30 per month plus £100 each for phones (don't hold me to this, just trying to give you an idea of cost).

You could also look at a telephone system on-site, but the cost is increasing and so is the requirement for in-house skills to administer and support.

The cordless phone option is the easiest, most cost effective solution and will probably do all you need, unless multiple calls and privacy are insurmountable issues.

I hope this helps and please let me know if I can help further.

Tim :-)

Update: thanks Tim got a fifty pound set of 4 house phones. They all ring on external call, put a different sound for internal call. We can transfer calls to other handsets and if someone is on phone and another lifts it up they just get a busy tone. TBF best 50 ive spent 

• Like 2