Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Breakfast and afterschool club

Piglet48

Hi can anyone tell me how they staff breakfast club and after school club?. Do you cover this with existing staff or recruit others to just do these shifts?

How do you make this viable? At the moment we can only operate some of these shifts due to existing staff child care commitments. The village school does not provide breakfast or after-school club, so it is difficult for my staff to work the early or late shifts. We are not on the school site and are not connected to the school at all, although we are in the same village.

At the moment we only have maybe one or two children that access the breakfast or afterschool club . The staffs wages are higher than the income coming in.

Does anyone just do specific days for these extra hours or have you tried it and it is just not viable?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

my younger members of staff wanted more money (term time only setting) so it was them that drove the change. We operate only after school  club Tuesday-Friday  we have 16 spaces as we work on 1-8 and don't take children under 3 for the club. We take the school children (school across the road) up to the age of 9 . We charge £6 per hour as this is the same as the childminders round here. we are currently full most evenings  What amount of children do you need in to break even? are the children coming from the school and the pre-school?

We are only taking preschool children, some of them are under 3 as parents work. we will need to break even at 4 children to cover two staff wages. Also does your 30 hour funding include these sessions or do parents have to pay extra?

Thankyou for replying

Hello Piglet48,

Welcome to FSF - I've moved your post to the 'afterschool club' bit of the forum - you might get a few more replies there :)

As finleysmaid says, you need to know your break even point otherwise it's going to be tough. If there are no other afterschool / breakfast club facilities locally are there any grants you can access? It would  definitely be worth speaking to your local authority team - they will be keen to support a new venture that provides for a gap in the local childcare provision. If you are a charity there may be other funding streams you can access to get yourself up and running. If there no money though and you are making a loss - it's a non starter though (sadly).

Let us know how you get on :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)