Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snacktime

Hi!

I need some advice please!

I have been told today by one of my TAs that the lady who covers my PPA time has a massive problem with rolling snack. She called it 'disgusting' and a 'free for all.' Asking my TA how she would feel if a child choked.

We've done rolling snack in Nursery for 7 + years now and never had a problem. The children put their name card on the back of a chair, wash hands, choose snack, when finished they tidy up and put their name in the box. The children are 'trained' when they first come into Nursery and follow the routine well. There is not a staff member assigned to this area but we are never more than a few metres away in case if choking. Now I'm wondering if we are operating safely?

What do others do? 

Don't like stopping for snacktime and no where great to do it anyway as we are not allowed to eat or drink on the carpet.

Thanks

Green Hippo x

feel like i may have posted many times about this before. We operate in a similar way to you and have done for many years. The first thing to say is that when we had our inspection Ofsted were incredibly impressed by the levels of independence our children showed. They were not at all concerned about us not having staff there (we are in the same room) and it would be clear if a child was in distress.

I think your issue here is not the operation of rolling snacks but the person who covers. Can you 'sell' her the learning that the children are getting or is she just a jobs worth. I think i'd speak to her direct and tell her that's the way you want it done and next time she has a problem with your practise perhaps she would like to speak to you direct rather than your TA!

Thanks Finleysmaid,

I think the way she's said it has upset me more than what she actually said. She had a go at both the TA and an SSA for not being the snack supervisor. What has annoyed me more is that she's apparently so concerned and disgusted yet doesn't stay near the snack area. In fact when I went back in she was outside having a gossip.

Green Hippo x

I agree you can't change things that work well for you , perhaps it's a new experience for her?  

I do however think there's a lot of benefit of having an adult supporting snack time,  as it's a ripe opportunity for conversation as well as supporting independence,  supporting reluctant eaters,  encouraging them to try new foods etc.  I know it may not always be practical but it's an area or activity like any other so why wouldn't you support this like you would support any other?  

Thanks Mundia,

We do exactly as you say - support as appropriate and necessary, like any other area of provision and as you say, it's a great place to support and extend learning. However, what we don't do is have an adult supervising all the time because it's a safety risk! 

Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)