Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

ICO FAQs for the education sector

FSFRebecca

Thanks Rebecca, I had this in an email this morning, did you follow the fee link right at the bottom and then to the ‘exempt’ list, that is still confusing at it says you only need to answer ‘yes’ to one of the 7 (or 8) statements and many of us our classed as ‘not for profit’, what is your take on this ? 

9 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Thanks Rebecca, I had this in an email this morning, did you follow the fee link right at the bottom and then to the ‘exempt’ list, that is still confusing at it says you only need to answer ‘yes’ to one of the 7 (or 8) statements and many of us our classed as ‘not for profit’, what is your take on this ? 

I'm no expert Mouseketeer but I have read the  criteria sheet regarding exemption  through carefully and I would say you do have to pay. Yes, you do come under the 'not for profit' umbrella but you are processing data for reasons other than administering membership - for example, EYEE funding and assessment purposes.

The criteria says, "you are only processing data for the purposes of establishing or maintaining membership or support for a body or association not established or conducted for profit, or providing or administering activities for individuals who are members of the body or association or have regular contact with it
 you only hold information about individuals whose data you need to process for this exempt purpose the personal data you process is restricted to personal information that is necessary for this exempt purpose" 

I think the criteria suggests the exemption criteria refers only to a membership database.
  • Like 1

We do pay and have for a few years (see it’s going up £5 for us) but if you just took that one statement and didn’t dig any deeper you’d think you we’re exempt, I wonder if that’s why you still see so many managers of settings asking what ICO is?

5 minutes ago, Motherclanger said:

Oh dear!

I'm afraid I read the information and thought being a charity run preschool we didn't have to register with the ICO!

I think I will have to phone them and clarify the situation.

Thanks for flagging this up for me.

im afraid that if you hold ANY data on a computerised device that i think you will need to be registered (that includes staff and children).....we are also a registered not for profit charity!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)