Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gender specific toys: do you stereotype children?

FSFRebecca

I don't know if any one saw this programme? The clip (below) is fascinating: I'm putting 'watch the whole programme' on my TDL for this weekend! I think I will also use the clip at my first staff meeting in September just as a reminder to staff about how careful they need to be and to demonstrate to them how much their actions influence child development.

From the BBC magazine website:

Gender specific toys: do you stereotype children?
The toys children play with have an impact not only on how they see themselves and on what skills they learn, but also on how their brains physically develop.
Some psychologists argue that this helps to explain why certain professions are so male-dominated. An increasing number of parents and carers now say they try to avoid gender-stereotyped play.
As this experiment shows, though, it’s not always easy to overcome your own prejudices.
Viewers in the UK can watch 'No More Boys and Girls: Can Our Kids Go Gender Free?' on Wednesday 16 August at 21:00 BST on BBC Two and afterwards on BBC iPlayer.
  • Like 1

Rebecca, they also discussed the programme on Woman's Hour they other morning with the 2 programme makers, which was interesting, they also further talked about the little boy who had the "tantrum" and what seems to be a hint of a very positive outcome at the end of the experiment for this boy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)