Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recruiting Childcare staff

Just wondering if any other settings are having real problems these days recruiting suitable qualified and experienced staff. Also, if those of you that have been doing this a while have noticed a difference in terms of how hard it is to get staff. And are the quality of CV's/applications declining?

I used to find that when we advertised in the local press we would get dozens of inquiries and at least half a dozen really good applications for a shortlist. These days I don't use local press as I can pay for an advert to be in for two weeks and not get one decent application.

I think I am even sometimes appointing people that I probably wouldn't have chosen 15 years ago.

Applicants seem to be less knowledgeable these days.

I have advertised on the internet as well and at the job centre and get some really poor applications.

Where do people advertise these days?

To be honest, I feel that the lack of well trained and experienced staff who want to commit to the role, is the biggest challenge to the sector at present.

Does any one have any advice or ideas regarding recruitment?

Hi, I agree with you - the standard of people applying for the vacancies seem to be lower and also that many think that they are just there to play with the children and don't have an idea of everything that goes with the job - key worker, planning, obs,next steps etc., even staff that have a level 2 are very inexperienced and havent done things like observations etc., during their course which is a huge part of the job.

also the wages don't help as many are lower than those working in the local shop and dont have the responsibilities that this job does.

We no longer advertise in the paper as too expensive - we advertise on the internet through Indeed and also our local council has a website that you can advertise through - maybe your council might have one?

also advertise on your settings window, newsletter and ask at the local schools too - good luck

• Like 1

we have used indeed mainly because it is free, you do have to sift through applications as many obviously apply just to fill in there bits from the job centre but have found this the best way.We have used the county's advertising board but response has been poor.

I am afraid there are qualified people out there however they are often in my experience not knowledgeable or child friendly......my most successful staff have been home grown over the years but that was when the cost of qualifications and training was a lot

cheaper !

i feel your pain !

• Like 2

We had the same problem last year - advertised but could not get anybody. We took on an apprentice - this meant we were able to train a member of staff on the job, it has been a very successful placement and our apprentice has now finished her training and we have been able to offer her a full time position. It was also very financially viable as she was on a slightly lower wage and we also got a grant from the government for taking on an apprentice. I appreciate that not everybody is in the position to take on an apprentice but if you are I would recommend it - it has been very worthwhile for us.

• Like 2

Hello,

It is interesting to read this topic and replies. I can state that I too am finding it difficult to recruit, especially since the regulations changed in September 2014 with the GCSE's Grades C in English and Maths there are far less candidates. Those who qualified in the past five to ten years before this do seem to have less knowledge and commitment I am finding or do not want to work with the under 3's. With the requirements of the EYFS as it is you need to have a staff member that is knowledgable and committed to the role.

I have advertised in shop windows, job centre, Nursery World, and on own website. Local newspaper is too expensive.

It is good to read, Sue that we can advertise vacancies on here. Whilst, Indeed is not one I have tried so may give this a try the next time I need to recruit. Thank you.

• Like 1

It's very tricky - we too have resorted to 'growing our own' staff and have successfully recruited apprentices over the last few years. It can be a bit 'hit and miss' and we have had to do a fair amount of 'parenting' for the younger apprentices as they come to us straight from school and often are still children themselves - however we think it's worth it. Just thinking now ... we have 2 apprentices who came to us directly from school (after GCSEs) and who have just completed their L3 qualifications having been through L2 first - they are now really strong members of our staff team. We have one who is just finishing L2 and we are currently advertising for another one or two. We found that approaching the schools directly was helpful - we could speak to the head of year 11 or year 13 and ask them to direct their strongest candidates our way. We're lucky that as we're a large nursery having a few apprentices about (who we don't count in ratios until they're qualified) is very helpful in terms of 'extra hands' it works for us as they can go between different groups and work alongside the team and get experience of all the different aspects of nursery work.