Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

first registration visit from Ofsted

nomski100

Good morning!

I am looking for some advice on what is expected fro am first registration visit from Ofsted.

I have filled in all forms on Ofsted website but can not submit it until my DBS comes back. I applied over 2 months ago and after speaking to the company they say there is a large backlog at moment! (i really didn't expect it to take this long)

Anyway I have found a hall to lease that i would like to run a day nursery from.(Scout Hut) It needs some work done to it that i am doing at the moment. ( new sinks put in, radiator covers being made, pipes boxed it etc and the garden is being dug up and fencing being erected)

I'm in a bit of a panic as i'm spending money on the hall and garden to ensure it safe for children. I have bought a lot of equipment/toys/furniture etc. I'm lucky as the owners haven't starting charging rent yet ::1a but on Ofsted website it states they can take up to 26 weeks to do the 1st registration visit, HALF A YEAR!!!

What i would like to know is has anyone had their first registration visit recently and how long from submitting forms did it take? Also do i have to have all equipment out on the day of visit? The reason i ask is if people spend lots of money on all equipment then are refused registration its a lot of money wasted. (I have ran a successful nursery for 7 years )

Do i have to have everything in place as if i'm about to open the week after they visit or do i have to just have to explain/show how i will make areas safe.

Any advice would be really appreciated :1b

Good luck with the timescale! I think I was quite lucky and it wasn't anything like 26 weeks but that was some years ago. You don't need to have all your equipment and furniture in place but you will need to be able to explain how the building will be used and how you will meet all the requirements. My registration visit was in a building site! I guess like anything else, the less they can see, the more questions they need to ask to ensure you are going to comply.

• Like 1

I have just gone through the process - my DBS was back in 48 hrs - which company are you using? It took about 6 weeks from the forms being submitted to Ofsted for them to contact me - don't forget your medical forms - that took about 2 weeks for the Dr to do.

Once Ofsted had ok'd all the online forms I had a call from the Inspector to say she wanted to do my Suitability Check within the week. She visited me at my setting - I bought the setting I worked in so slightly different to you but she did have a look round and checked that the toilets etc etc were compliant. As long as you can explain clearly what you intend to do you should be fine.

The interview was the worse bit - don't want to scare you but it was 7 hrs of constant questioning - make sure you know the guidance inside out and have examples of how you plan to record everything - planning, accident forms, registration forms etc etc as they will want to see those.

I can understand your concern at spending money without knowing the outcome - my situation was slightly different. I am not sure when you are planning to open but you may be struggling for Sept if your paperwork is not yet submitted.

The first registration visit won't happen until you have been up and running for a while - within 30 months I was told.

Good luck and if I can help with anything else message me.

• Like 1

Goodness, it seems registration visits vary as much as inspections! Mine wasn't particularly difficult at all and certainly didn't include a seven hour interview! Poor you hopeytg! We chatted as we went round then I think I had about 30 minutes of questions.