Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Multicultural Topic

At the end of last academic year (July2005) I produced a foundation stage self evaluation for our head (To inform the next school development plan and help with our SEF form). It was really interesting and it highlighted that we need to develop our KUW point 6 (FS Profile). We fill in our profile at the end of each half term and it became clear that the children needed more experience in 'begins to know about their own culture and beliefs and those of others.' Focusing on those of others. My head suggested a topic to run for one half term on.. say 'the world around us'. What do you think? Has anyone got any creative ideas how we can address this issue?Has anyone had the same concern? if so how have you tackled it. Any ideas or solutions would be much appreciated. This is my number one site :o Emma

We plan on our long term planning grid for a variety of festivals around the world. For example in the winter term we look at festivals of light and this term we will look at how Shrove Tuesday is celebrated in different countries. Last week we focused on Chinese New Year but had a yellow day on Thursday for the Hindu festival of Saraswarti Puja (hope I spelt that right) In the summer term we look at celebrations how people celebrate naming marriage etc.

Long_Term_Planning_Grid.doc

Edited by MARl0N

Dear Emma,

I like doing "foods around the world" - lots of things to look at here - and it can cover every single area of learning - growing, types of food, spices, things we like and don't like, why, covers sensory, smells etc - even bread can take on a multicultural aspect - I ran a breakfast club with breakfast foods, there is pitta bread, chappatti, potato cakes, wafflets, muffins, croissants, french sticks, soda bread, that dark rye bread from Germany - cannot remember what it is called, pizza type bread. Children like to taste all these and it makes it more real for them, display them with the country flag and a few interesting facts alongside perhaps traditional country dress or animals found in that country - whatever you like really. I just find that sometimes using festivals as a way of promoting awareness can sometimes turn out to be a little tokenistic/stereotypical - although I do actually celebrate some of the festivals throughout the year - I like to make sure that where possible the children can really make first hand connections and food is always a good one. Fruits are also a good choice, perhaps use a map of the world with string going to pictures and types of food produced in each country.

I am sure that others will come up with some good ideas.

Nikki

Thanks Guys for you quick response. I love the food topic idea thanks Nikki. Also found something in another thread about having a topic for 1 week in each half term. Something like fruit from around the world or Animals from around the world. i thought this might be a better way in and a nice change from a whole 4/5 week topic. also it means that we could adapt them as we moved through the year to address any gaps in experience. Once again thanks :D

Although focuses on different festivals and celebrations are great I also think that the most important approach to developing an understanding of other cultures is to include cultural perspectives in ordinary events, especially through the learning environment - provision in role play, stories, books, positive images of people from different ethnic groups doing important things, dolls, musical instruments,cooking, clothes, games, songs, displays..... so that children don't only focus on different perspectives a few times a year as a "special" but that it is just part of their everyday experiences.It's also part of our responsibility to develop their understanding of different cultural norms and to experience how other people approach ordinary everyday life. So really it shouldn't matter what your theme/topic is, as there would be an intrinsic awareness and reflection of multicutural understanding whatever you did. :D

Cx

Although  focuses on different festivals and celebrations are great I also think that the most important approach to developing an understanding of other cultures is to include cultural perspectives in ordinary events, especially through  the learning environment -  provision in role play, stories, books, positive images of people from different ethnic groups doing important things, dolls, musical instruments,cooking, clothes, games, songs, displays..... so that children don't only focus on different perspectives a few times a year as a "special" but that it is just part of their everyday experiences.It's also part of our responsibility to develop their understanding of different cultural norms and to experience how other people approach ordinary everyday life. So really it shouldn't matter what your theme/topic is, as there would be an intrinsic awareness and reflection of multicutural understanding whatever you did.  :D

Cx

47123[/snapback]

As a whole school we have had storytellers from different countries and religions this has been very popular with the children.

Got to say that anything involving food always gets their attention :o

Oh Catma - I wish I could have said it that succinctly and coherently - my normal ramblings of a menopausal person, that is what I was trying to say. However, I think research has definitedly confirmed that women's brains going through the menopause behave in a very strange way. Don't I just know it -

I think we need to start off with something they can recognise, experience and relate to in their every day living and make other aspects come to life.

Last week the children were sitting down having a snack when they all started saying "it wasn't fair" - not too sure what started it - but they all then got on the band wagon - at which stage I sat down calmly and said that I would tell them what wasn't fair - children in this world have no food, housing, Mummys or Daddies etc and this generated a fantastic conversation of how they could go to the shops to buy some, but they have no money to buy the food, well then they go to the bank and get some out, or Tescos will deliver it to them in their van - later in the week one of the children came in, very plesed with himseld and said he had made him Mum put some money in the whizzy thing in Macdonalds and now all the children in the world would have food to eat - gosh if only it were that simple...

Nikki

Very well said Catma. This is exactly the way to approach multiculturalism. I think we should be sure that what we do is meaningful to the children, and not just bombard them with lots of festivals which can be very confusing. In my last school we had a number of children from different cultures, so we celebrated when they celebrated, which worked very well for everyone. We asked parents in to talk about their celebrations, prepare food etc. with the children. This was as interesting for the adults as for the children.

I love the food idea- now that is really meaningful I think- they all love food, and most children will have had their take-aways of various sorts- Yum.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)