Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Paediatric First Aid

Froglet

Please see the attached. I think I may be being a big dense but what are the implications for a reception class in this document?

Am a school governor and we've just been talking about PFA training.

Hurum...you seem to have forgotten something froggie friend!

Oops! :blink: :wacko: Should I claim that I was doing this on my phone and couldn't see properly?! Am a very tired bunny - been awake since 3.30am and working since 4.00. For some reason this isn't showing up when I view new posts. However, the thing I was referring to and being a bit (not big!) dense is this: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/paediatric-first-aid-eyfs-statutory-framework-amendments

the statutory requirement already say there must be one person who is PFAT (!!) working with the children...the new requirement would suggest that any level 2/3's must also be done.....how does that work for you??

I don't think it has an impact. The school already has 2 people who are PFAT! They are looking to also train the class teacher to ensure that there is someone in school the whole time. We don't employ level 2/3s in the same way I think so my interpretation is that as long as there is at least one person who is PFAT they will be fine. Everyone in school has first aid training of some kind. Does that make sense?

Having listened to Joanne Thompson speak at the NDNA conference (it was her daughter that died in nursery following a choking incident) it is clear that more staff need to have confidence and training in paediatric first aid. If the new L2 and L3 'come through' with the training as part of the validation of their course it can only be a good thing. I know as a provider that the expense is an issue but we'll just have to make it work - listening to Joanne speak made me realise (both as a parent and as a provider) that the cost can never outweigh the importance of staff who can react quickly and confidently in an emergency situation. Froglet, I think it's great that everyone in your school has some kind of first aid training - I bet not all schools do! Personally, I think all 6th Form students should have training too ... but that's another thread for a different forum!!

• Like 1

Froglet, I think it's great that everyone in your school has some kind of first aid training - I bet not all schools do! Personally, I think all 6th Form students should have training too ... but that's another thread for a different forum!!

Thanks Rebecca. Unrelated to my original question can you give me a clue as to why this post isn't showing up when I 'view new content'? It doesn't seem to matter whether I put new since I last visited, past 24 hours/week etc. It just isn't there although if I go direct to the forum where I posted I can see it and I get notifications that someone has replied. I'm just wondering if I've accidentally 'knocked' something in my settings somehow.

Thanks Rebecca. Unrelated to my original question can you give me a clue as to why this post isn't showing up when I 'view new content'? It doesn't seem to matter whether I put new since I last visited, past 24 hours/week etc. It just isn't there although if I go direct to the forum where I posted I can see it and I get notifications that someone has replied. I'm just wondering if I've accidentally 'knocked' something in my settings somehow.

Urm ... I'll ask one of the developers tomorrow at work ... i'll get back to you!

Urm ... I'll ask one of the developers tomorrow at work ... i'll get back to you!

Thanks! Sorry, knew it wasn't really a question for you but I took the opportunity! I was beginning to feel a bit like I didn't exist somehow!

In March 2015 there was a lot of publicity about proposals to introduce a requirement that all newly-qualified practitioners should have a paediatric first aid certificate. Otherwise they couldn't be included in ratios. The rule was "expected " to be introduced this September.

I've heard nothing more since to say that it has become a legal requirement and I can't find anything to say it has.

Does anyone know whether it has been confirmed yet?

Yes, it has been announced - the minister announced it on Friday at the NDNA conference - the announcement details are here. We have also put a news flash on the front page of the FSF

Oops sorry - I missed that. It explains the conversation I just overheard

• Like 1

Always liking to have my t's crossed, I emailed the NDNA for some additional information which some of you may find useful and many will probably think is nit-picky :P

All the publicity refers to 'newly qualified level 2s and level 3s' What I wanted to know is, if someone is already level 2 and employed and has no first aid certificate, will the new rules apply when they qualify at Level 3 - being at that point a newly-qualified Level 3. The answer I got was:

"If they are already qualified at level 2 prior to September 2016 and go on to do a level 3 they will still be able to be counted in ratios because they will have been qualified at level 2 before the rules were applied."

Although we're always aiming for 100% first-aiders, for a multitude of reasons we rarely manage to stay there for long. So in the meanwhile I just like to know exactly what's what!

This is the DfE response:

Do the new rules for PFA for newly qualified staff announced on 1 July at the NDNA conference apply to staff newly qualified in May 2016 and already employed by us?

No. The new rules apply to new entrants to the early years workforce, employed on or after 1 September who gained their Level 2 or level 3 early years qualification on or after 30 June 2016.

What exactly does newly-qualified mean?

Someone who gained their Level 2 or level 3 early years qualification on or after 30 June 2016 and is a new entrant to the workforce or who gained their qualification on or after 30 June 2016 as a result of completing an apprenticeship or long term student placement..

If someone is already L2 qualified and becomes L3 after 30 June, do they then count as newly qualified and need first aid cert to count on ratios?

No, that person doesn’t have to have a PFA certificate as he or she is not a new entrant to the workforce. However, the DfE would not want to discourage anyone from gaining a PFA qualification or employers from encouraging any staff member from gaining a PFA certificate.

Can you just confirm that the new requirements mean all newly qualified L2/L3 childcare staff must have a PFA certificate to count in the EYFS ratios. This doesn’t necessarily have to be done as part of their childcare course though (although some will). The staff member can also get it by attending separate PFA training and there’ll be a three month grace period from starting employment in which they can do this.

Yes this is correct and the person also has to be a new entrant to the workforce (unless they were an apprentice or on a long term student placement).

If they are already qualified at level 2 prior to September 2016 and go on to do a level 3 they will still be able to be counted in ratios because they will have been qualified at level 2 before the rules were applied.

Yes but only if they were already employed prior to Sept 2016. If they had a L2 qualification previously but not actually entered the workforce, they would need to get PFA once they became newly qualified at L3, within three months of taking up employment.

Who do the rules apply to?

The new rules apply to new entrants to the workforce with a level 2 or Level 3 early years qualification employed on or after 1 September who gained their Level 2 or level 3 early years qualification on or after 30 June 2016.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)