Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Songkran Festival

Panders

Hi Just wondered whether anyone has celebrated this Thai New Year Festival. It starts round about 13th April this year. We have a boy whose mum is Thai and I would really like to celebrate this festival with him - it appears on line to be all about spraying each other with water and wishing each other a year of blessings, so I am planning lots of water activities that week - but if anyone knows anything else I could offer I would be much obliged. HIs mum just says, its lots of fun and obviously very hot in Thailand at this time of year and lots of water involved!

Sorry Panders, can't say I have heard of this.

Well it's a funny festival really. It's their New Year but seems only to involve water fights in the streets etc. but think there is or was originally a Buddha connection. Mum has been really vague - just says its good fun. Obviously don't want to have water fights at nursery - particularly in April, so just thinking up lots of water activities for that first week back after Easter.

• Like 1

http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/thailand/songkran.php

Found this if it helps...so it would seem to me water pistols at dawn and tidying up are on the cards.....can I come?

lots of elephants involved too.

There are some great picture on the web ...i'd be inclined to print off a few for chatting about.

Interesting link here to a polish festival....not sure about getting the girls to throw china at the boys though!

• Like 1

Thanks Finleysmaid, I have been trawling around on the web too, would love a visit from elephants - but fear it would cause a little too much fuss and excitement, and that's just the staff! Have got water pistols and all sorts ready - have also got some challenging boys this year all 4 years old....... you don't need me to tell you the rest :lol: :lol: :lol: :wacko: