Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Volunteer in ratio?

Hi does anyone know if a volunteer who has a valid DBS (arranged by herself, but verified by us via the update service) can be counted in ratio?

We have an issue on our hands at the moment as we have a member of staff leaving imminently and haven't been able to find a replacement so far. I'm getting concerned about ratios once she has gone and we don't really have any leeway in our ratios at the moment. I have asked committee to complete EY2 volunteer checks as well in the hope that they can help out.

The volunteer might be up for becoming a paid bank staff person, and I'd like to think we wouldn't have to request her to do a separate DBS check for us, otherwise there isn't much point in the existence of the update service?!

I have to admit to not knowing for sure, however, some while ago, Volunteers could be taken into ratio if they were coming in consistently on the same sessions each week, so, not just when they felt like it!!

Edited by Panders

3.29. Only those aged 17 or over may be included in ratios (and staff under 17 should be supervised at all times). Students on long term placements and volunteers (aged 17 or over) and staff working as apprentices in early education (aged 16 or over) may be included in the ratios if the provider is satisfied that they are competent and responsible.

• Like 1

I looked into this a few months ago and couldn't get a firm answer (are you surprised?!)

Volunteers - yes fine as long as you supervise well etc etc

Committee - No! and the answer given was because when they fill in their EY2 it asks the question 'do you work directly with the children' my committee answered 'no' to this as they don't but that apparently is where it becomes 'blurred'

Luckily I didn't need anyone in the end but I was in a real quandry about it and couldn't get a firm answer my advisor advised me to call Ofsted on the morning in question to see what the answer that day was! well that's no good is it?!!

I looked into this a few months ago and couldn't get a firm answer (are you surprised?!)

Volunteers - yes fine as long as you supervise well etc etc

Committee - No! and the answer given was because when they fill in their EY2 it asks the question 'do you work directly with the children' my committee answered 'no' to this as they don't but that apparently is where it becomes 'blurred'

Luckily I didn't need anyone in the end but I was in a real quandry about it and couldn't get a firm answer my advisor advised me to call Ofsted on the morning in question to see what the answer that day was! well that's no good is it?!!

I remember your quandry actually, which is why I have asked the committee to complete the Volunteer DBS as well!