Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting points when adding children to tapestry

Hi all

We have just purchased tapestry - can anyone tell me the simplest way to set a starting point for each child as you input them please?

We have an existing age and stage plotted for each child and want to include this so that when we do our reports they are continuing with the information that we already have - do I set these as a base line assessment or is there another way?

Thank you

We had the same issue. There are 3 ways depending on how accurate you want the analysis.

1) baseline all children at current levels and continue forward..

2) Input 1 or more observations to include all the areas of learning a child has already secured maybe within their age band or even the age bands prior. And then continue forward.. this method gives out much accurate future results.

3) i'm sure there are other methods too :P

No problem, i actually started to add a full child's observations and assessments one by one!! Then realised it was pointless and just added 1 observation blank or with a note, and then added all assessments to it.. this then brought that upto date.. and made it much easier going forwards..

• Like 1

Sorry i am not explaining this very well. I hope you have it sorted.

When we first got Tapestry, i had the same problem of where to start for existing children.

What i did: I got the child's written journal and assessments out. This had many observations and assessments from when the child started. I wanted to input as much data as possible on Tapestry for this child. i started to add each individual Obs and Assess into the system from approx 10 obs back in the existing journal.. and this took a lot of time.

So instead of doing this.. i added into Tapestry just one observation (can say anything, ie CATCH UP OB) and then added many many assessments from the previous 10 i had previously carried out over the last month or so. This then gave me the same Assessment data and was much quicker.

The reason i did this was to essentially "baseline" this child into the tapestry system with actual data. I also used the child's tracker to set any remaining baseline assessments needed.

i could now move forward and continue this child's Tapestry online journal.. and could use "next steps" or "next observations" from the Tapestry system more accurately.

This has worked out well for every child and the Analysis data for the setting and for children's groups had information to use that helped also.

i hope this explains what i did more.. and good luck

Hi Broadoaks

I did understand what you meant - I thought you explained it very well!!!

We have been using an age and stage tracker here for some time which is based on actual information so it was easier and less time consuming for me to simply input an age and stage for each child. I have then set the assessment periods to three monthly from now which is when we would have aged and staged the children anyway. Am hoping that all the information we input from now on will then show progression.

Thanks again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michelle,

You can do this either by creating a baseline (check out the tutorial on this) or you can create an observation for the child, call it something like 'Prior to Tapestry' and then put in all your recent assessments for the 17 aspects.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)