Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

ofsted looming first ever inspection help!

Rosebud123

My manager is off sick which leaves my self who has resently stepped up as a deputy manager and my other manager who is also new to her role. We have a new and inexperienced team and this will also be my first ever inspection. I want to compile a simple information sheet to prepare for ofsted for my staff and also for myself as I'm still getting used to my deputy role and being familiar with the paperwork.

Have you got a copy of the inspector's evaluation framework? That will give you an idea of what the inspector is looking for.

The most important thing for your staff is to feel that they know their key children well and can talk about how they're doing, and what's next for their learning. That will give them the confidence to talk to the inspector :1b

As Helen says, use the Inspection Handbook to let you know what to expect - you can find it on the Ofsted website.

If you are the manager 'on the day' the inspector will have a meeting with you about your leadership and management role - use the evaluation schedule at the back of the Inspection Handbook to see what will be covered in the Leadership and Management section. Before the inspection go through the L+M section and make notes to yourself - what do you want to say? Which document could you show as evidence? There is no problem taking notes and files into the L+M meeting - it's not a memory test ... it's a opportunity for you to explain and show what you do every day.

I would do whatever you feel you need to do to help your confidence. The inspector will already have asked to see some documents (the list is in the Inspection Handbook) so it doesn't matter which documents you use to evidence the difference sections - you will find once you start talking about them you will know more than you think - just having them there to refer to will help you.

i honestly think you just need to remember that this is your setting.not the inspector's..........so shine! Be enthusiastic about the children, your staff team, your parents and show how you all work together to make your setting as good as it is. I sometimes think that in our being scared of the 'O' people, we forget that it's OUR setting and then make the mistake of almost apologising for it. No.......as an old friend used to say.....t & t.......tits n teeth............in other words, big smile, shoulders back and show what you can do. Good luck..and yes, take notes if you want to x

• Like 1

All inspectors ask for different things. When we were inspected last May, the inspector gave me a list of documents that she wanted to see at the beginning of the day. This was very helpful as it meant I wasn't running round like a headless chicken trying to lay my hands on things as she asked for them.