Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hmm... a question

What would you say have been the most significant education policies/initiatives that have affected our practice in the early years over the past few years?

Sorry its a bit of a big question and one that will have different answers from different educators in different settings. If I were to say this is directed at those in maintained settings would that help?

I am just trying to prepare for a possible interview so any help would be appreciated... 'staring at a blank box and not knowing where to start stage'!

Off the top of my head - introduction of 2 yr old funding? This has had a massive impact on my setting - impact on staffing ratios, I have had to spend a lot of time out of setting at Core Meetings, an expense to the setting which is not reimbursed, nappies, behavioral expectations, etc etc etc .

• Like 2

Thank you for that... 2year old funding doesn't relate to our setting but thanks for taking the time to reply. Catma have you any thoughts as I always value your expertise and opinion?

No pressure then!

• The introduction of a single statutory framework for EYFS - applying to schools and providers creating a universal approach to educaion for under 5s. Transitions suported by this and the shared approaches to tracking progress towards a defined expected level of attainment
  • The school baseline in reception and the impact this will have on progress measures for primary
  • EY pupil premium and pupil premium in reception - early intervention strategies focussed on narrowing gaps in attainment
  • The 15 hours free entitlement and the planned 30 hours - impacting on the nursery provision in schools

will carry on thinking!

Cx

• Like 1

I would say going back a little further that the EPPE research is the single biggest influence of policy over the years. It was this research that gave us the free entitlement, that gave us the drive towards a graduate led workforce, that gave us the emphasis on home learning and parent partnership, and the growth of nursery provision in schools.

For me from a school perspective, its the introduction of nationally published accountable profile , which I think has changed practice in reception classes since its inception (must be over 12ish years by now?)

• Like 1

For me from a school perspective, its the introduction of nationally published accountable profile , which I think has changed practice in reception classes since its inception (must be over 12ish years by now?)

Which gives you the interesting discussion point re the removal of the EYFSP and the future lack of national data, given the "baseline" is non statutory. There will be nocomparative data at a local or national level to use.

cx