Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Area

Hi,

I have got improving writing on my performance management this year and I'm trying to improve the writing area in my classroom. Currently, they just go in there and colour and there's no real writing or mark making happening. I'm in the process of making some new resources, like mazes, sound mats and fine motor sheets but I'm just wondering if anyone has any fab ideas?

Thank you!

We are a pre-school and have lots of notepads, envelopes, resources to make birthday cards/similar, and then stampers and ink pads, glue stick, stickers, collage resources etc all close to hand. We also have writing resources in lots of other areas, eg shopping list in home corner, police officer's note pads, etc. We sometimes have to do a lot of work to get some of the children interested, so we try to spark their interest with outdoor play or role play, and then encourage them to bring that interest to the writing table. Often it needs a lot of modelling by an adult to get things rolling though!

• Like 4

Our children love a clipboard with a pencil attached. They walk around asking lots of questions and 'writing'down our answers. We have larger A4 wooden ones outside and smaller A5 plastic ones inside.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I put post-its in my writing area and the children loved it! Although there were post-its all over the classroom!! Topic word mats work quite well too. We also have clipboards, whiteboard, letter formation boards, coloured paper. I put some pencils in there with a superhero topper and some frozen crayons and that got them writing straight away!

Hi

We have got rid of our 'writing table' (after going to an abcdoes training day which was brilliant) and now have paper and pens in all areas of provision including clipboards, whiteboards, little tables for 2 children with couple of pens on, big paper on the floor, blackboard paint on tables and walls etc. We have seen an increase in mark making and writing by the children and teachers are able to model writing in play wherever they are as there is always writing materials near by.

• Like 4

Have you tried Pinterest app? Lots of fantastic ideas on there.

we have also just bought a white tuff tray for them to use.

Also paper stuck on the bottom of the table helps big circular movements .

ABC does site on facebook also brilliant - Alastair Bryce-Clegg also does very good books for ideas.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)