Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gifted and Talented

Stargrower

One of my staff has a six year old son who is gifted and talented. He was reading at two, joined MENSA at four and is writing his own books at six.

He goes to a small, village school who are not supporting or encouraging his talents at all. He just has to do the same work as everyone else. So for example, he does the same spelling test as everyone else each week. Nobody ever listens to him read as he just reads to himself.

Does anyone know if there is anything his mother can do? She does a lot with him at home, and takes him to museums etc. But she is very disillusioned with the school. There is so much support for children with additional needs, and surely this should include children who are gifted and talented?

• Like 1

Crumbs, schools normally have extra support for gifted and talented pupils too, like high achievers. I would certainly be asking for a meeting to discuss other options with the school. If this is not forthcoming I might be looking for another school that can give them what they deserve in their educational journey.

This child has special educational needs in just the same way as someone with learning difficulties has. These are obviously not being addressed by the school which should be offering learning opportunities and activities that are challenging and meet his needs. The first step is an appointment with the head to find out why nothing is being done to support his learning as he obviously comes into the gifted and talented category. Should that not elicit some results either contact the local authority or if you cant be bothered to waste the time then move schools.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to stick my nose here. I'm here more out curiosity rather to give advice.

I grew up in Ukraine and remember some children were 'jumping up' classes due to their 'brightness'. They were first assessed by different teachers (language, maths, science, etc) and if were given a green light needed to pass end of year test. Once they successfully passed it, they move a Year up.

In my pre-school we have a child who reads from 12 months. She recently turned 4 and her profile shows that she is meeting ELG in all prime areas of learning and some special. I really do not know what she is going to do in the Reception. She reads faster than my daughter in Year 2, her comprehension is brilliant, she adds/takes away two digit numbers and her PSED is sky high. I really do not understand why she cannot start at least year 1.

I'll follow this post.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)