Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYFS lead in school extra TLR points?

Hi I was wondering if other EYFS lead teachers in school have extra TLR points or are on the SLT in this role. I have had the title of eyfs lead since I started at the school but this hasn't been reflected in my pay. To begin with I was the only reception teacher with 1 TA so being EYFS lead meant that I was leading myself and my TA the same as any other teacher. My school however has grown over the last 2 years and I am now leading across 2 classes and 5 staff, organising and providing training and support for my team, involved with their performance management, writing the EYFS SEF and supporting the Y1 teachers (NQT). The workload just seems to have tripled. I have just had my performance management and moved up the pay scale to UPS 2 but for the work and responsibility involved it doesn't seem nearly enough and I'm beginning to feel like I'm being taken for a mug-thoughts?

Deb

By virtue of being the only reception teacher in school I am technically the EYFS lead. I don't really have anyone other than myself to lead so don't do performance management but do three million and one other things that the other class teachers don't have to do because 'EY is different'. I don't have a TLR (or any kind of title) but our school simply couldn't afford one.

Whether or not you receive a TLR will depend on your school structure, a TLR goes with a role and not with a person. You could approach your HT, your Teacher Governor may know what the school structure is but dont be surprised if you get turned down, You should however a job description which defines your role and responsibilities. How does this reflect your job?

I worked in a small school where there were no TLRs or management pay roles of any kind but the jobs still had to be done!

There are no other TLR s at my school and the management structure is head, deputy and inclusion manager who are SLT. Everyone else is on MS or UPS. I was just curious what other schools did for eyfs leads. I've always been used to doing so many things over and above-it comes with the territory of a teacher, we all do it, I guess I'm just feeling my role has grown significantly and I'm not seeing it reflected in my pay. I would have moved up the scale anyway whether I was leading 1 class or 2. Struggling with work/life balance tbh good thing it's half term

I used to get TLR when I was phase leader as did the KS1 AND KS2 leaders and we were all part of SMT. I worked part time but only got pro rata of the allowance despite doing all of the role, I managed a team of 12, bigger than any other in the school. We also all managed something else, in my case students and NQTS.

In a small school, it's probably unlikely you would get a TLR, and this is often why people move on from such schools if they want a career progression.

It is tough, but at least you are moving through UPS. Have a chat with your head if you're feeling you can't manage well at the moment, and look at how you can share out some things or drop them for a while.

Take care, and do bare in mind that even a TLR won't give you more hours in the day so you could well feel just as busy (even more so as you nay then get extra duties) but with a bit extra in your pocket.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)